Mission: Out in the Cold
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
In the VZA-4001 System the player rescues the freighter Sabok from attacking Breen slavers. The Sabok Captain immediately leaves to reach her destination before the Breen do. The Sabok's sister ship Paktau is also in the system and is calling for emergency repairs. After an engagement with the Breen, a warp core breach is imminent. After the replacement parts are beamed over to the Paktau, sensors pick up more Breen forces to enter the system. The player has to defeat these reinforcements to allow the Paktau to repair and leave the system safely. The Paktau Captain tells the player, that the Breen slavers were talking about the Zaria System, suggesting, that the kidnapped Deferi were brought there.
In fact the Breen have installed a mining facility to harvest the dilithium of Zaria's core. Several Breen ships are patrolling the cracked remains of the planet to secure the hidden operation. After the player fights through these forces, the bridge crew realizes, that the Deferi cannot simply be beamed up from the mine, since a transport disruptor field is in place. The player beams down to the mine with an away team to rescue the Deferi workers.
The Deferi are held in an array of holding cells. The player fights through a series of Breen guards to disable the transporter inhibitors. After the Deferi have been beamed aboard safely, Thot Trel calls the away team, introducing himself as the commander of the Breen forces attaking the Deferi. He dispatches Thot Gran, the commander of the mining facility, to kill the away team. After defeating him, the player leaves the facility.
Surah is thankful for the player's actions and allows the player's faction to join the Deferi in mining the Dilithium from Zaria in the future.
Outline[edit | edit source]
Mission Text[edit | edit source]
We have lost contact with two transports en route to the outer colonies. There were more than 400 Deferi on those vessels, and with the rising threat from the Breen I fear the worst. Their last known location was near VZA-4001, and I suggest that you start your search there.
The Breen have no compunction against attacking civilian ships. We seek peace with the Breen, as we do with all beings, but they answer our offers of friendship with death and destruction.
Find our ships. If there are any survivors, please bring them home safely.
Goal[edit | edit source]
Objectives[edit | edit source]
- Paktau in Peril
- Cracked Core
- Go To Zaria System
- Defeat Breen Squadrons (0/4)
- Beam Down to Dilithium Mine
- Deferi Dilithium
NPCs[edit | edit source]
Enemies[edit | edit source]
Breen[edit | edit source]
NPC starships[edit | edit source]
Enemies[edit | edit source]
Breen[edit | edit source]
- There are no accolades specific to this mission.
- For a walkthrough of this mission, visit the Walkthrough page.
Mission Replay[edit | edit source]
- You choose 1 of the following:
|47–49|| Rear Admiral UH
Feature Episode Notes[edit | edit source]
- Second of five missions of the first Feature Episode The Breen released in fall 2010. Later retitled Cold War, the missions are currently available for all factions, forming the Breen Invasion storyline episode.
- The mission is part of the Feature Episode re-runs, and as such eligible for limited time, special mission rewards.
- For the first Feature Episode Rerun week (May 5–11, 2011) new mission rewards were added to this episode, including making the rewards previously only available through mission replay available for selection on the first run and adding the choice of level-appropriate badges for the duration of the Rerun week.
- During the forth Feature Episode re-run (October 31 to December 5, 2013) the mission was eligible for the daily Lobi Crystal reward (once 15 per player account and day).
Notes[edit | edit source]
- After completing Out in the Cold the daily repeatable missions “Rescue Deferi Captives (Daily)” and “Emancipation (Daily)” become available from Ambassador Surah.
- Until the release of Season Five: Call to Arms, the minimum rank requirement for this mission was level 10 and above.
This can be a frustrating mission since when you are on the Asteroid it has a habit of crashing the game MULTIPLE times. The crashes are directly tied to the shaking environment mechanic, especially when you kill a MOB and it drops something, or you try to loot something that was dropped, when the shaking is going on. The crash does not seem to happen when a DOff causes the kill. The trick to this is once the game crashes, log back into it and DO NOT verify files. If you choose this option, then game will reload right where you left off and any loot that was dropped is still there. There are only a few areas where the mechanic actually happens, so if you can avoid landing the killing blow on MOBs you should be okay.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
|Dominion Storyline Episodes|
|Engineered for War||“Hunt” • “Ceremony” • “Turn the Tide”|
|DSC Starfleet Storyline Episodes|
|Tutorial||“Graduation Day (DSC)” • “Routine Maneuvers” • “Trial by Fire” • “The Shadow Knows” • “Children of War” • “Reporting In”|
|Side Content: The Galaxy at Large|
|Spectres||“Spectres” • “Skirmish” • “Spin the Wheel” • “What Lies Beneath” • “Everything Old is New” • “Night of the Comet”|
|Wasteland||“Secrets of Nimbus” • “The Lost City of Paradise” • “Blind Men Tell All Tales” • “The Undying” • “A Fistful of Gorn” • “Installation 18”|
(Still part of main episode progression for Romulan Republic players.)
|Lost Dominion: The 2800||“Lost Dominion” • “Second Wave” • “Of Bajor” • “Operation Gamma” • “Facility 4028” • “Boldly They Rode”|
|Cold War||“Cold War (wrapper)” • “Cold Call” • “Out in the Cold” • “Cold Comfort” • “Cold Case” • “Cold Storage”|
|Delta Quadrant||“Kobali Crisis Act I” • “Kobali Crisis Act II” • “Kobali Crisis Act III”|