Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Iconian gateways are transdimensional transporters that were used by the Iconian civilization to maintain their vast interstellar empire during its height 200,000 years ago. Though the Iconians' empire apparently collapsed long ago, several working gateways have been found in recent decades.
Iconian gateways can target multiple locations for travel, and a trip through a gateway is typically one-way; the presence of a second gate at the destination is not required. However, a number of Iconian gateways, most notably the space gateways located within the Iconians' Dyson Spheres, are permanently locked to a single gateway on the other side, allowing for two-way transportation at the expense of the ability to change destinations.
Known gateways[edit | edit source]
Numerous Iconian gateways remain in existence and the Iconian Gateway network was activated by the player in “A Step Between Stars”. Since then, many gateways were destroyed but several remain in operation, including several which are available for the player to use in travelling across the Galaxy (said network is highlighted in green below).
Background[edit | edit source]
- In 2365, the planet Iconia was discovered in the Romulan Neutral Zone by the U.S.S. Yamato. A gateway was found in the ruins, which was then destroyed by Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the U.S.S. Enterprise-D.
- Seven years later, another gateway was discovered by the Dominion on Vandros IV. Several rogue Jem'Hadar attempted to rebel against the Founders using the Gateway, but they were defeated and the Gateway destroyed by a joint Starfleet/Dominion strike force.
Missions involved[edit | edit source]
- “Revelation”: Undercover within the Tal Shiar, Romulan Republic players discover Taris in the Hobus System but she manages to escape through an Iconian gateway.
- “Taris”: Another working gateway is discovered by Starfleet on Iconia, where it is being used by Taris in an attempt to contact the Iconians and convince them to undo the effects of the Hobus supernova.
- “Coliseum”: Hakeev has established a gateway in his facility on Nopada Prime. He uses it to help the Iconians fulfill their plans.
- “Cutting the Cord”: Two gateways are found on Brea III, and a third built into an asteroid in orbit.
- “Fluid Dynamics”: It is discovered that the Iconians have used gateways to send fake Alpha and Beta Quadrant ships into Fluidic Space to provoke the Undine.
- “Secrets of the Ancients”: The player discovers a gateway in a lava tube on New Romulus, which was responsible for a catastrophic seismic event 150,000 years ago.
- “Sphere of Influence”: The Romulan Republic invites delegations of the Federation and the Klingon Empire to New Romulus to witness the activation of the newly-restored Iconian gateway beneath the surface. This event leads to the entire gateway network being reset. The player learns that there are 7,255 gateways in total, and that some are located in the Andromeda Galaxy. A massive gateway is revealed in the Jouret System.
- “Elachi Alert”: Federation, Klingon, and Romulan ships have to be defended against Elachi entering the Alpha Quadrant from previously undiscovered Iconian space gates.
- “Circles within Circles”: The player uses the Iconian Gateway in the Jouret System to travel to the Solanae Dyson Sphere, located in the Delta Quadrant.
- “A Step Between Stars”: Players are forced to activate an Iconian gateway near the star at the center of the Solanae Dyson Sphere in order to disable the sphere's jump capabilities. This gateway leads to the Jenolan Dyson Sphere, located deep within the Delta Quadrant.
- “Surface Tension”: An Undine invasion fleet uses the gateway in the Jenolan Dyson Sphere to launch an attack on the homeworlds of the Federation and Klingon Empire. After the battle, an Iconian appears in the Great Hall on Qo'noS via a gateway to threaten the players' factions.
- “Escalation”: The player uses the gateway in the Jouret System to travel to the Jenolan Dyson Sphere in order to report to their factions' Delta Alliance liaison.
- “Uneasy Allies”: The player accompanies Sela on a mission to discover the Iconians' plans, traveling through the gateway on Nopada Prime to the Andromeda Dyson Sphere in the Andromeda Galaxy where they discover the Iconians preparing to invade the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. The player then escapes back through a gateway to Nopada Prime in order to warn the Milky Way of the coming danger.
- “Blood of Ancients”: Herald forces attack the gateway on New Romulus, using it to locate the Preserver archive on Lae'nas III. the player then uses the gateway to travel there before the Heralds destroy it.
- “Midnight”: The time-travelling player, along with Sela and Kagran, assist the evacuation of ancient Iconia via a gateway.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
|Details||Iconian • Bluegill • Dewan • Elachi • Herald • Solanae • Andromeda Dyson Sphere • Iconia • Iconian gateway • World Heart|
|Ground Forces||Swarmer • Construct • Fused Construct • Thrall • Defiler • Harbinger|
|Starships||Swarmer • Iconian Probe • Mir Fighter • Baltim Raider • Quas Cruiser • Vonph Battleship • Iaidon Dreadnought|
|NPCs||M'Tara • T'Ket • L'Miren • B'Tren • K'Wenn • S'Kenn • T'Lerr • V'Lar|
|Ground||Risa Floater, Risa Powerboard, Run, Transporter|
|Sub-light||Full Impulse, Impulse Capacitance Cell, Impulse Engine (Impulse Engines), Impulse Expertise|
|Warp||Quantum Slipstream Drive, Sector Space Travel Speed, Warp Core, Warp speed|
|Transwarp||Borg Transwarp Hub, Transwarp, Transwarp Coil, Transwarp Conduit|
|Other||Bajoran wormhole, Iconian gateway, Spore drive, Teleport, “Tour the Galaxy”|