Warp speed is the term for traveling at faster than light velocity through a warp drive propulsion system.
In Star Trek Online, starships travel at warp speed in sector space and the warp speed scale is linear (i.e. warp 8 is twice as fast as warp 4). You can see your current warp speed while in sector space by moving the cursor over your ship throttle.
The base maximum warp speed is tied to your characters level, at Level 1 the base max warp speed is 7.2 and at Level 50 the base max warp speed is 9.97.
There are several methods to increase this speed:
- Sector Space Travel Speed skill (and related duty officer assignment: Assignment: Perform Antimatter Containment Leak Drills)
- Grant Diplomatic Immunity ability (
also allows Federation players access to Omega Leonis Sector Block) NOTE: Even though this ability affects the increase of warp speed it is no longer needed for access to Omega Leonis Sector block when Solanae Dyson Sphere was chapter was released which effectively ended the war between the Klingons and the Federation. Players can freely move about the entire map of Alpha and Beta Quadrants at any time.
- Assign Raiding Party ability (also allows KDF players access to Sirius Sector Block)
Warp 10 is the maximum speed available to players, unless they are using:
- Sector Space Travel Speed (science skill point unlock) Increases maximum Sector Space Travel Speed by 25%
- Quantum Slipstream Drive ability (requires a level 50 character).
- [Assimilated Subtranswarp Engines] - transwarp 14 (default cruise).
- [M.A.C.O. Impulse Engines] - transwarp 12 (default cruise).