Warp speed is the term for traveling at faster-than-light velocity through a warp drive propulsion system. It is the principal mode of transport in Star Trek, being used by all space-faring factions.
While not the first species to develop the technology, humanity's first use was in 2063 by Zefram Cochrane's Phoenix. This led to their first contact with Vulcans, celebrated by the Federation as First Contact Day.
In Star Trek Online, starships travel at warp speed in sector space and the warp speed scale is linear (i.e. warp 8 is twice as fast as warp 4). You can see your current warp speed while in sector space by moving the cursor over your ship throttle.
Increasing basic speed[edit | edit source]
On top of those, the Grant Diplomatic Immunity ability (Assign Raiding Party for KDF aligned players) provides a 25% increase to maximum warp and slipstream speeds. Further, duty officer assignment, including Assignment: Perform Antimatter Containment Leak Drills can increase speed, and increase maximum Sector Space Travel Speed by 25%.
Warp Cores that provide high warp speeds include;
- [M.A.C.O. Impulse Engines] - transwarp 12 (default cruise).
- Advanced or Elite Fleet Engines - transwarp 12 (default cruise).
- [Assimilated Subtranswarp Engines] - transwarp 14 (default cruise).
- [Temporal Defense Initiative Overcharged Warp Core] - transwarp 14 (default cruise).
Alternatives[edit | edit source]
- Quantum Slipstream Drive, which requires a level 50 character, provides a temporary speed boost to warp at least warp 20. The boost lasts between 30 and 90 seconds depending on ship or equipment in use. It has a 2 minute cool down.
- Transwarp moves a player instantly to any of a set of specific locations around the galaxy, subject to cooldown.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- While Warp Cores in Star Trek run on dilithium crystals, in Star Trek Online dilithium is used as a currency unrelated to warp speed.