A Transporter is a device capable of almost instantaneously transporting an object from one location to another. It uses matter-energy conversion to transform the matter of a person or object into energy. That energy pattern is then transmitted to another location where it is reconverted back into matter.
History[edit | edit source]
Starfleet has used the technology since the mid 22nd century and is widely used by the 24th century. However, some races such as the Lukari did not possess the technology as late as 2410 despite attaining warp speed.
Range[edit | edit source]
The range is typically limited to ship-to-planet distances, but some technology is able to transport much further. Dominion transporters operate over 3 light-years when used with a homing beacon and Transwarp beaming allows transport across sectors and is employed on Fleet installations.
Zones[edit | edit source]
Adventure zones are often equipped with networks of transporter pads to aid movement. In some cases, each pad must be unlocked via pattern recognition before it can be beamed to from other locations.
- Defera Prime
- Kobali Prime (unlocking required)
- New Romulus (unlocking required)
- Nimbus III, Decrepit Transporters (unlocking required)
- Nukara Prime
Inventive applications[edit | edit source]
- Transporters are typically operated from a Transporter Room, by a Transporter Officer whether or not the origin or destination is in that room or not. Away team selections are usually shown against a transporter room.
- Transport is meant to be near-instant and remaining mid-transport in the buffer is usually fatal. However, Montgomery Scott did manage to rig a transporter to keep him suspended for around 75 years.
- Transporters are modifiable via a Multidimensional Transporter Device to reach the Mirror universe. This can also happen unintentionally due to an ion storm, as happened to Gabriel Lorca.
- A unique application of the technology is the TR-116A Rifle - Sniper Rifle, which uses a micro-transporter to beam a physical projectile through walls while in motion.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Joshua Riker
- List of transporter operators (NPCs)
- List of transporter operators (doffs)
[edit | edit source]
|Ground||Risa Floater, Risa Powerboard, Run, Transporter|
|Sub-light||Full Impulse, Impulse Capacitance Cell, Impulse Engine (Impulse Engines), Impulse Expertise|
|Warp||Quantum Slipstream Drive, Sector Space Travel Speed, Warp Core, Warp speed|
|Transwarp||Borg Transwarp Hub, Transwarp, Transwarp Coil, Transwarp Conduit|
|Other||Bajoran wormhole, Iconian gateway, Spore drive, Teleport, “Tour the Galaxy”|