The Terran Empire is a state of the mirror universe, a parallel universe that exists on a different dimensional plane. Using force rather than diplomacy, the Terran Empire is the counterpart of the United Federation of Planets and a military dictatorship ruled by an Emperor.
- 1 Culture
- 2 History
- 3 Missions involved
- 4 Missions formerly involved
- 5 Military
- 6 Member species
- 7 Notes
- 8 External links
- 9 References
Culture[edit | edit source]
The Terran Empire was forged in several brutal wars. Treason and oppression are considered warranted means of advancement through the Empire's ranks. The Humans of the mirror universe (typically referred to as "Terrans") are openly nationalistic and fascistic, deeming themselves the born master race.
History[edit | edit source]
The First Terran Empire[edit | edit source]
Human literary works as far back as the 16th century show a divergence, except for Shakespeare. However no point of divergence from the Prime Universe has been established. The founding date of the Terran Empire is also unknown, but in 2155 it was said to have existed for "centuries" (suggesting at least the 20th century) and Roman-like allusions have been made by Terrans.
In 2063 Zefram Cochrane kills the first Vulcan to set foot on Earth with a shotgun. The Terrans loot the Vulcan ship and reverse-engineer its technology. The Terran flag is subsequently planted on Luna (by an astronaut in a 22nd century spacesuit) and Terran forces rapidly conquer Vulcan, Andoria, Tellar Prime, Denobula, and Gorlan by the 2150s.
In 2155 Rebels from oppressed worlds are on the verge of breaking the Empire's rule. The Empire is near total collapse until the I.S.S. Enterprise manages to capture the U.S.S. Defiant (a Federation Constitution-class starship from the 23rd century), again infusing the oppressors with new advanced technology, giving them the advantage necessary to foster their dominance.
By 2256, the Empire controls all of known space. It has rendered Qo'noS uninhabitable but still faces some opposition from rebel forces; an alliance of Klingons, Vulcans, Andorians and Tellarites who are opposed to the Empire. Many of these rebels are, however, wiped out by the Emperor's flagship. The Emperor however subsequently disappear in a coup attempt, and the coup leader and his forces are killed when the Emperor's flagship is destroyed.
A transporter accident in 2267 results in an exchange of personnel between the Prime and Mirror universes - the Captains of the U.S.S. Enterprise and the I.S.S. Enterprise travel to their counterpart's ships. Prime James T. Kirk is able to convince mirror Spock that the barbaric ways of the Empire need to change.
Spock subsequently rises to become Commander-in-Chief of the Empire and begins to implement a policy of change (peace and disarmament). Unfortunately these reforms also weaken the Empire and make it vulnerable to conquest by the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance. The Empire falls, and Terrans and Vulcans become a slave caste of the Alliance.
Terran Rebellion[edit | edit source]
In 2372, inspired by their prime universe counterparts, a group of Terran rebels working on Terok Nor (DS9's mirror counterpart) manage to take the station from the Alliance. Using stolen plans for the Defiant-class escort, the rebels build the I.S.S. Defiant and succeed in pushing back Alliance forces.
Second Terran Empire[edit | edit source]
The Terran Resistance in the Bajor Sector eventually spread through the rest of the Alpha and Beta Quadrant, eventually forming a Second Terran Empire. By the 25th century this Empire reverted to its original aggressive nature, ruling oppressively over its territory and initiating a series of hostile incursions into the prime universe. The new emperor rose to power after a strange encounter gave him god-like powers.
In 2409, Terran forces begin providing aid to True Way forces and the Empire begins a major incursion in the Badlands. Around the same time, the Orb of Possibilities is returned to mirror Bajor, aiding the rise of Captain Leeta. The following year, Admiral Leeta defeats the Iconians 200,000 years in the past and takes challenges the Emperor's power using a combination of future technology from the Temporal Liberation Front and aid from the Pah-wraiths. ( “Message from Another Universe V”)
In 2410, the I.S.S. Discovery was displaced from the 23rd century and led to Captain Killy seizing Pahvo. While her plans were thwarted, and the Discovery returned to the past, Killy remained at large.
Missions involved[edit | edit source]
Cardassian Struggle[edit | edit source]
- “Spoils of War”: The player discovers that the True Way have used the stolen Orb of Possibilities to open a portal to the Mirror Universe, and have been negotiating an alliance with Captain Leeta of the Terran Empire.
- “Jabberwocky”: The player travels to the Mirror Universe, confronts Captain Leeta, and returns the Orb of Possibilities to Hathon on Bajor.
Ongoing Terran Incursion (Level 50+ PvE Missions and Battlezones)[edit | edit source]
- “Mirror Invasion”: The Empire attacks Vauthil Station, sending dozens of warships led by a dreadnought.
- "Tholian Incursion": An Odyssey-class Dreadnought Cruiser has been captured by the Tholian Assembly and is being held in a facility on Nukara Prime.
- “Crystalline Catastrophe”: The Crystalline Entity will occasionally generate numerous interphasic rifts, allowing Terran Empire vessels to enter the battle and hamper the players' attempt to destroy the Entity.
- “Counterpoint”: Using the Orb of Possibilities, Leeta, now an Admiral, transports mirror-Terok Nor over to the prime universe.
- “Assault on Terok Nor”: After boarding mirror-Terok Nor and defeating Leeta, she beams out and the player retrieves the Orb of Possibilities, thereby returning Terok Nor to its universe.
- Badlands Battlezone: Admiral Leeta leads a full-scale invasion of the Prime Universe in the I.S.S. Enterprise.
Future Proof[edit | edit source]
- “Temporal Reckoning”: Leeta and her Terran forces join the Temporal Liberation Front, claiming that the disappearance of U.S.S. Defiant wasn't an accident, but Envoy's gift to her Empire. Inside the Defiant's computer was a message just for her, promising her control over her own universe in exchange for assistance in the Temporal War. As a thank-you, Leeta shoots Daniels, killing him and restoring Envoy's physical appearance. Leeta briefly engages the player and other temporal agents in the orbit of New Khitomer, before regrouping with the rest of TLF forces and leaving for Procyon V.
- “Ragnarok”: When her forces fail to keep the player from reaching the U.S.S. Enterprise and delivering the Tox Uthat, Leeta tries to defeat the player herself, but ultimately fails. Unsatisfied with the direction of the battle, Leeta orders her forces to retreat, leaving Noye and his forces behind to deal with their "foolish errand".
Mirror of Discovery[edit | edit source]
- “Para Pacem”: Captain Sylvia Tilly and the I.S.S. Discovery is displaced to the prime universe in 2410 along with a hostile Klingon fleet. Tilly requests amnesty from the Alliance.
- “Illusion of Communication”: The player must counter Tilly's influence on Pahvo and return the Discovery to the 23rd century.
Missions formerly involved[edit | edit source]
- “Tear of the Prophets”: While the player retrieves the Orb of Possibilities, Terran forces support the True Way.
- “Crack in the Mirror”: Terran forces attack Deep Space 9.
- “The Other Side”: The player travels to the Mirror Universe and encounters Mirror and Klingon-Cardassian forces.
Military[edit | edit source]
The military arm of the Terran Empire is Imperial Starfleet, which mostly consists of Terrans. Ships in Imperial Starfleet are similar to their Prime Universe counterparts and may have been created from stolen plans. Unlike these however, most Imperial ships are capable of cloaking. Instead of the 22nd century vessels which were adorned with yellow markings, 25th century starships utilize red markings instead. Additionally, Imperial ships use an "ISS" prefix (Imperial Star Ship) instead of the prime Starfleet's "USS" (United Star Ship).
Starship classes[edit | edit source]
- Terran Danube Runabout
- Terran Peregrine Fighter
- Terran Frigate
- Terran Cruiser
- Terran Escort
- Terran Galaxy Class Cruiser
- Terran Intrepid Class Science Vessel
- Terran Nebula Class Science Vessel
- Terran Rhode Island Science Vessel
- Terran Science Vessel
- Troop Transport
- Terran Armitage Class Escort Carrier
- Terran Command Cruiser
- Terran Multi-Mission Explorer
- Terran Prometheus Class Escort
- Temporal Dreadnought
- Terran Galaxy-X Dreadnought
- Terran Odyssey Dreadnought
- Terran Typhoon Class Battleship
Ground Forces[edit | edit source]
- Terran Ensign Engineering Officer
- Terran Ensign Medic
- Terran Ensign Tactical Officer
- Terran Lieutenant Engineering
- Terran Lieutenant Medic
- Terran Lieutenant Tactical Officer
- Terran Combat Engineer
- Terran Combat Medic
- Terran Commander Security
- Terran Commander Engineer
- Terran Commander Science
- Mirror Chief
Member species[edit | edit source]
The Empire is known to constitute members of the following races:
Notes[edit | edit source]
- In Star Trek Online this faction is sometimes referred to as the "Terran Federation".
- Some Tholian vessels create interphasic rifts upon destruction, though which Terran Empire ships spawn and fight for the Tholians. No explanation for this has surfaced yet. These rifts can also be opened en-masse by the Crystalline Entity in “Crystalline Catastrophe”.
- Terran vessels had a purple coloration until June 2012, when they were changed to reflect the canon look of the I.S.S. Enterprise from "In a Mirror, Darkly". In October 2015, Terran ships were changed yet again to feature red paint schemes (older playable Mirror Universe starships retained their yellowish detailing).
- Before the revamp of the Cardassian Struggle episode arc, Terrans appeared in three of its missions: “Tear of the Prophets”, “Crack in the Mirror” and “The Other Side”. Led by James O'Brien, they began their incursion into Prime Universe and tried to redirect the Bajoran wormhole so that thousands of Imperial ships could conquer the Federation. (These Mirror missions can now be replayed as player-recreated Foundry missions).
[edit | edit source]
- Terran Empire at Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki.
- Terran Empire at Memory Beta, the non-canon Star Trek Wiki.
References[edit | edit source]
|Quick Faction Navigation Toolbar (ordered by quadrant)|
α — |
Location of homeworld unknown or somewhere outside the Prime universe Milky Way galaxy