Talk:Prepare kalandra sector surprise
I don't think "not needed" is a good reason to delete this redirect. Redirects to assignments and other pages are useful, and redirects take little space in the database. — Eyes 11:23, 10 May 2012 (UTC)
- Agreed and in fact I think there should be more. Been meaning to mention this for a while not but the searc h is rather poor for a wiki. Not sure if that's the Semantic addon (We don't use it) but I know for many of the doff assignments, a search does not find them. --Drmike 12:18, 10 May 2012 (UTC)
- No, unless I've missed it somewhere, Semantic MediaWiki does not affect search functionality at all. My experience with MediaWiki's built-in search function is that it has always been subpar unless your search term is nearly dead on. On the doff assignments, I was always intending that we should use the in-game titles for assignments as redirects to their pages. At one point, I was even considering trying to create them by bot, but we didn't end up listing assignment variants in a way that could really support that. Of course, actually manually listing each variant by name on the page itself might do a lot to improve the search function too. Our fake namespaces might also be diminishing its accuracy too, but that's just speculation. — Eyes 12:32, 10 May 2012 (UTC)
- Agreed, MW search sucks. It's good for finding article titles, and case doesn't matter for that, and it will even match redirects and list the target page. But if you want to find text within an article... you're better off using Google with url=www.stowiki.org.
- The fake namespaces shouldn't be causing any problems, no, but it would actually be a LOT more useful if they were real namespaces. That way searches could be limited to missions, assignments, etc. by selecting the appropriate namespace. It would take some significant work to port everything into a system like that now, though.
- Back on-topic: redirects for assignment variants would be useful, since, like I said above, redirects do show up as page title matches in MW search. Whether these redirects should use the fake namespace prefixes or not, I don't really know. —Dr Ishmael 14:16, 10 May 2012 (UTC)
Re: On the doff assignments, I was always intending that we should use the in-game titles for assignments as redirects to their pages.
- That's what I was going to ask about. I'll start that tomorrow then. Thursdays I;m busy with local volunteerism and bloodwork. --Drmike 17:07, 10 May 2012 (UTC)