Talk:Assimilated Borg Technology
edit war[edit source]
Greets: We seem to have a small edit war occurring over the stats of this set. Part of the problem I think is that the original stats were given for a tier 5 cruiser. That of course isn't a baseline for the devices and a number of factors come into play.
An example of the concern is that the recent edit for the shield array shows a 6,038 Maximum Shield Capacity. If you look at the tooltip, it;s 4,725.
I would like to make the suggestion that only stats from the actual tooltips be used for this as well as the other sets. This way there's no question of what's correct and an honest comparison can be made between sets.
Thanks --Drmike 17:45, 14 May 2012 (UTC)
- The fundamental problem here is that even the tooltip stats are based on your current ship and various other modifiers. I wrote a guide on how to calculate shield capacity values (still incomplete!) but even the nastily complex calculations in there are quite approximate as the exact values depend on a long list of factors.
- There isn't a good way of getting a baseline for any of these stats, nor is there a good way of displaying it to wiki readers in a way that's meaningful to them. To 'fix' this issue would be a major undertaking as we'd need to not only come up with a policy on what numbers to use, but we'd need to modify EVERY article to match this new policy and write up a guide for readers so they can interpret the numbers.
- In the short term though, I agree that an edit war doesn't help. --Zutty 18:54, 14 May 2012 (UTC)
- EDIT: Behold!...
- Took these screenshots just now. --Zutty 19:06, 14 May 2012 (UTC)
- I think one change in shield stats on this page this year does not constitute an edit war, even a small one. At least, that's all I could find in the page history; seems it was listed as 5,250 capacity all this year until the recent edit.
- And like Zutty, I'm a little dubious about being able to successfully define a good standard practice for this. Get too complicated and we'll scare people away from editing and/or possibly spark actual edit wars. I would only be in support if we came up with a pretty simple standard and then had it documented, preferably in the STOWiki namespace or (even better) one of our boilerplates. — Eyes 19:35, 14 May 2012 (UTC)
- Edit war was a poor choice of words considering the editing volume we have here. I didn't want to change it afterwards since that would have made an issue with the urls.
- Re: tooltip stats based on stats? Are they? I know when I;m looking at the vendor, they're one thing which I assume is the base stats while the ones in your tray once you equip are with the modifier. I have this shield as well and I don't see 5,250 anywhere. I take the 4,725 number as the base.
- The number is going to be different for everyone based on what they're flying. That's why i think a base number is best. I don't see how "Use the vendor stats" which I believe are static is more complicated than "Use your own number which is different for everybody".
- And as to scaring folks away, we already have that problem. It's equal odds when stowiki comes up in the forums if it's a positive or negative response.
- Thanks though for the response. --Drmike 22:47, 14 May 2012 (UTC)
Is that shield capacity correct?!? I don't have this set, but 1600 shield capacity for a mk XII shield seems absurd unless it's on a shuttle and even then that's low. — Rayfire 00:12, 6 February 2013 (UTC)