The Defenses on most starships consist of deflector shields at the least and can be upgraded to adaptive/regenerative shielding and ships can have ablative armor (dissipates the weapon energy evenly).
The types of shields vary in abilities. They will have at least 2 traits to the item, with some of the uncommon or rare items adding additional bonus'.
- Gives you X amount of shielding on your ship in each of the 4 zones. eg. 2,349 Shields.
- Regenerates y amount of shields every z seconds. eg. Regenerates 82 Shields every 6 seconds.
- An example would be something like 20% Chance to Knock Back Opponents on hits.
- Bleedthrough - Energy from opponent's weapon bypasses shielding to cause damage to vessel.
- Absorption - Energy from opponent's weapon is negated and has no effect on vessel. Conjecturally believed by some to add to player vessel shield energy.