- For an overview of all social/adventure zones and their facilities, ground and space, see Hub.
- Starbase redirects here. For the fleet holding, see Fleet Starbase.
A Space station is a stationery, artificial structure in space usually designed to support a crew at a specific location. They serve as support stations for starships, observation posts and defensive installations.
For an exhaustive list of space stations, see the Hubs template at the bottom of this page.
Terms[edit | edit source]
Space station is used as a general term for any stationery space facility, but there are a number of related, more precise terms;
- A Starbase is sometimes used to refer to a large Federation support facility, sometimes planet-side but usually orbital. Spacedock is a term used exclusively (i.e. Starbase 1, Starbase 82, Starbase 157, Starbase 621).
- Deep Space stations are a designation used for Federation stations on the fringes of Federation space. They have similarities to the role of Starbase but the term is rarely used interchangeably (i.e. Deep Space 9, Deep Space K-7, Deep Space K-13).
- Research or science stations are purely scientific outposts (i.e. Delta Volanis Science Station, Kyana Research Station)
- Trading stations are commercially operated stations (i.e. Treasure Trading Station)
- Outposts are small border installations for observation and defense (i.e. Sierra Outpost II).
- Spacedock is rarely used, and relates to it being a major docking point for orbital starships (i.e. Earth Spacedock, Vulcan Space Dock).
- Shipyards are a stationery facility dedicated to the design and production of starships. They are often a large collection of small stations and dry docks (i.e. San Francisco Fleet Yards, Utopia Planitia Shipyards).
- Listening posts are communication relays, sometimes unmanned and sometimes covert, that are used for surveillance transmissions (i.e. Lackey Listening Post, Bomari Listening Post).
[edit | edit source]
- Space station at Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki.
- Space station at Memory Beta, the non-canon Star Trek Wiki.
- Space station at Wikipedia