STOWiki:Wiki migration and user merge
On May 2, Star Trek Online Wiki will be migrated to Curse's new Gamepedia platform.
What is the Gamepedia platform?[edit source]
The "Gamepedia platform" has been designed by Curse's Wiki Platform Team to assist in the management of Curse's wiki network. It allows unified login across the entire Curse network through the netbar at the top of each page. All users are then logged in through the central user database. It also incorporates the Curse footer. These two items help to standardize the look and feel of our wikis with our other properties.
Aside from these front-end items, the Gamepedia platform allows the wiki team easy access to implement MediaWiki extensions as requested by our communities, as well as other basic configuration settings. It also allows our Wiki Platform Team to upgrade MediaWiki software on all the wikis at one time, rather than having to do each one separately. This is a major time saving step. Prior to the development of this platform, it would take up a significant amount of time to upgrade all of our wikis. This kind of mass management is the driving idea behind its development.
How does this affect me?[edit source]
The most direct effect the migration will have on individual users of Star Trek Online Wiki will be visible the first time they try to login to the "new and improved" wiki. We have set up a User Merge process that will compare your user information with the main Curse user database and either merge your wiki account with an existing Curse account, or will create a new Curse user account that will then be valid on all Curse.com websites.
The User Merge process[edit source]
After the migration has been completed, users will be asked to login normally. The system will compare the wiki's user database, and the Curse.com user database.
- If your wiki username and e-mail address match exactly to an existing Curse.com account the two will be merged, and you can continue to edit normally.
- If your e-mail address matches a record in the Curse.com database, but the username is different, the system will use the Curse.com username for the wiki. You will also be granted a one time display name credit to choose a display name that will then appear throughout the wiki (default signatures/recent changes/userpage).
- If your e-mail address does not match any existing account in the Curse.com database, you will be asked for a username. If the username does not match an existing username in the Curse.com database, a new account will be generated.
- If your Username matches, but not the e-mail address on the wiki account, the system renames user on wiki <username001> - you can link to existing Curse account or create a new Curse account. This also grants a display name credit.
- If neither e-mail address or username exist in the Curse.com database, a new curse account is created automatically.
What do I do if I have problems merging my accounts?[edit source]
If you run into problems merging your account, please email email@example.com as soon as possible and someone will assist you.