We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Romulan Star Empire
The Romulan Star Empire (or simply, Romulan Empire) has been a major galactic power since the 22nd century and is the traditional government of the Romulan people and their subject worlds and species.
For most of recorded interstellar history, the Empire has been known for its xenophobic character and policies of extreme secrecy and territorial protectionism. The Hobus supernova of 2387, and the ensuing destruction of Romulus, threw the Empire into a great deal of turmoil, encompassing several civil wars, territorial separation, reunification and re-constitution. Since then, a new capital was established on Rator III, where Sela eventually proclaimed herself Empress in 2408. However, after her disappearance in 2409, the status of Rator III as capital was challanged by Romulan and Reman fugitives who strive for an eventual re-unification with the Vulcans and have founded a new faction - the Romulan Republic - on New Romulus.
- 1 Culture
- 2 History
- 3 Politics and government
- 4 Military
- 5 Space
- 6 Notes
- 7 See Also
- 8 External links
Culture[edit | edit source]
Romulan society is secretive and xenophobic. Romulan intellectuals thrive on deceit and subterfuge, and they favor more of a cunning approach to battle rather than sheer brute force, and this is reflected in the fact that most Romulan vessels have cloaking technology.
History[edit | edit source]
- See also the full article on Romulan history on Memory Alpha.
Origins[edit | edit source]
- In the Time of Awakening, two millenia ago, a group of Vulcans refused to accept Surak's teachings of logic. They were driven out and settled Romulus in the Romulus System.
- The Romulan Star Empire was forged by conquest. The population of the neighboring planet Remus was enslaved, and the Remans became the worker caste of the Empire.
Modern day conflicts[edit | edit source]
- A major war with Earth in the 22nd century ended in a humiliating defeat, resulting in the establishment of the Neutral Zone in the Beta Quadrant, permanently separating the emerging United Federation of Planets from the Empire.
- After a century of isolation, the Empire re-enters galactic politics by destroying 4 Federation Neutral Zone outposts in 2266; the attacking ship is eventually defeated by the U.S.S. Enterprise.
- In the latter part of the 2260s, the Romulans and Klingons sign the terms of an alliance, resulting in the Klingons gaining access to cloaking technology, while the Romulans take delivery of several Klingon-designed vessels. The alliance collapses shortly before the Khitomer Accords are signed.
- The Empire again entered a state of isolationism from galactic politics in the aftermath of the Tomed Incident in 2311. The isolation ends in 2364 when a ship sent to investigate destruction of Romulan monitoring stations on their side of the Neutral Zone makes contact with the U.S.S. Enterprise-D.
- The Empire tried to destroy the Federation/Klingon alliance on several occasions in the 2360s.
- After a failed preemptive strike on the Founders' home world in 2371, the Empire was recoiling from engaging the Dominion again.
- Only after being tricked into believing a Dominion invasion of Romulan space was imminent, the Empire joined Starfleet and the Klingon Defense Force in the Dominion War.
Post Shinzon era[edit | edit source]
- After the war the Romulan Senate was overthrown by a Reman military coup in 2379, but with the help of the U.S.S. Enterprise-E the situation was resolved quickly. Backed by Commander Tomalak, Senator Tal'aura proclaims herself to be the new Romulan Praetor and clashes with Commander Donatra.
- Backed by the Unification movement, Remans demand independence. In 2381, Romulan and Reman forces clash in the Romulan star system.
- Donatra takes over several agricultural worlds and declares herself Empress of the Imperial Romulan State.
- The Klingons seize the chance to retake Khitomer and invade Romulan space in 2382. Tal'aura reshapes the Romulan Senate and appoints Senators to foster her power, to the disadvantage of the noble houses. Threatened by famine, Fleet Commander and proconsul Tomalak is tasked with retaking the worlds from Donatra. He appoints Taris to be his Admiral and second-in-command.
- Famine ravages Romulus in 2383. Tal'aura puts down riots with brutal force.
- Sela follows Tomalak as proconsul, who is retired after losing a power struggle to her in 2384. To resolve the conflict between the two Romulan states, Donatra appoints Taris as a representative and sends her to Romulus.
- Tal'aura is assassinated and Sela publicly blames the Remans and the Unification movement.
Reintegration of the Imperial Romulan State[edit | edit source]
- In 2385 Sela fosters her power by replacing Senators appointed by Tal'aura with noble house members. Donatra, Sela and the head of the Tal Shiar Rehaek agree on a reform of the Continuing Committee, sharing the power in the Empire. Chulan becomes the new Praetor. The Imperial Romulan State is dissolved and assimilated back into the Star Empire.
- The same year, Donatra offers the Reman leader Xiomek citizenship to all Remans and representation on the Senate. Against objection by Sela, popular opinion and the Senate, Donatra and Xiomek succeed with the reform.
- As it becomes apparent that Remus has to be abandoned due to over-mining, the Remans are given control over the planet Crateris in 2386.
- The Tal Shiar claims to have evidence that the noble houses are responsible for the murder of Tal'aura, but refuses to show the evidence to either Donatra or Sela. Open conflict emerges between Sela and Raheak, while Donatra remains neutral. In the escalating conflict, Sela is sentenced to death, but Donatra manages to convert the sentence into permanent exile. The following year, Sela leaves Romulus with a small fleet of loyal followers.
Hobus supernova[edit | edit source]
- The Hobus event in 2387 has an devastating effect on the Empire, killing billions and destroying many core worlds, among them Romulus and Remus.
- The mining ship Narada is upgraded with Borg technology to defend the beaten Empire. After destroying a Klingon fleet it vanished in the black hole, created by Ambassador Spock to contain the Hobus supernova.
- Taris rises to become the new leader of the Empire in 2388.
The Romulan Colonial Organization Committee[edit | edit source]
- In 2392 the new capital Rihan on Rator III is founded. The first institution to be created is the Romulan Colonial Organization Committee.
- The RCOC reinstates the Romulan Senate in favor of a monarchy in the new Romulan constitution. Taris becomes the first Praetor in 2394.
The new Romulan Empire[edit | edit source]
- When a Bloodfire epidemic strikes on Kevratas in 2396, Taris orders a strict quarantine and cut the planet off any supplies during the winter season.
- In 2397 Kevratas declare independence. Tebok refuses to put down the movement by force as ordered by Taris. Instead he allows the leaders safe passage to be heard in front of the Senate. Taris tries to remove him from the office as the head of military, but is overruled by the Senators.
- After a two year power struggle, the I.R.W. Alth'lndor, Tebok's flagship, is destroyed as the result of a computer virus infection.
- Taris enters into an open power struggle with the Senate which is trying to further restrict her constitutional powers.
Sela's rise to Empress[edit | edit source]
- Sela and Velal, Tebok's successor and student, conspire to overthrow Taris in 2401.
- The Empire stands on the edge of civil war, when Velal's and Taris's forces engage in several skirmishes.
- Taris suddenly disappears from Rator III in 2403. Backed by the presence of dozens of warships in orbit, Velal and Sela approach the Senate. Sela becomes the new Romulan Praetor, Velal the new head of military.
- In the following years, Sela manages to reshape the Empire. In 2408 she is crowned Empress of the Romulan Star Empire in Rihan on Rator III.
Sela's disappearance and New Romulus[edit | edit source]
- In 2409, Sela disappears while responding to an attack on a Tal Shiar base in the Brea System. (“Cutting the Cord”)
- Her disappearance throws the Empire back into chaos, with different factions killing and dying for short-lived power.
- Romulan and Reman fugitives under D'Tan and Obisek, opposing Sela and the Tal Shiar, are motivated by the new vacuum of power. Together they found the Romulan Republic, a peaceful and honest faction, with New Romulus as its capital.
Politics and government[edit | edit source]
The Romulan Star Empire used to be ruled by the Romulan Senate and the Continuing Committee, both of which were overseen by the Praetor. In 2408, the Romulan Star Empire was transformed into a monarchy ruled by self-proclaimed Empress Sela on Rator III. She enjoyed the support of the Empire's noble houses but it is not clear if the Romulan Senate has been dissolved by the latest reforms.
Current head of state[edit | edit source]
Former heads of state[edit | edit source]
- Praetor/Empress Sela - 2403-2408 Praetor, 2408-2409 Empress
- Praetor Taris - 2388-2403 (first praetor of the newly constituted Romulan Star Empire)
- Praetor Chulan - 2385-2387 (last praetor of the pre-Hobus Romulan Star Empire)
- Praetor Tal'aura - 2379-2384
- Praetor Shinzon (only for a short period in 2379 after the Reman coup d'état)
- Praetor Hiren - late 2370s-2379
- Praetor Neral - 2360s-2370s
Military[edit | edit source]
Starships[edit | edit source]
Ground Forces[edit | edit source]
Bosses[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Space[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Romulan Star Empire is based on the Roman Empire. The former capital planets Romulus and Remus are named for the founders of Rome.
See Also[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Romulan Star Empire (23rd century)
|Details||Romulan Star Empire (23rd century) • Romulan • Galorndon Core System • Tal Shiar|
|Ground Forces||Uhlan • Centurion • Subcommander Scientist|
|Starships||T'Liss Frigate • Khenn Cruiser • Thrai Battleship|
|NPC starships||I.R.W. Vauthil|
Romulan Star Empire (25th century)
|Details||Romulan Star Empire (25th century) • Romulan • Reman • Hirogen • Rator III • Gasko Station • Tal Shiar|
|Ground Forces||Romulan Analyst • Technician • Recruit (Romulan) • Uhlan • Sublieutenant Medic • Centurion • Centurion Engineer • Centurion Medic • Centurion Scientist • Subcommander • Subcommander Engineer • Subcommander Scientist • Commander (Mob) • Romulan Captain|
|Starships||Romulan Shuttle • Scorpion Fighter (Mob) • T'varo Light Warbird (Mob) • Mogai Heavy Warbird (Mob) • D'deridex Battlecruiser • Scimitar Dreadnought|
|NPCs||Arranhu • Charva • Hakeev • Janek • Khaiel N'Vek • Khiana • Ruul • Sela • Taris • Tarsen|
|NPC starships||I.R.W. Aethra • I.R.W. Areinnye • I.R.W. Esemar • I.R.W. Khnial • I.R.W. Leahval • I.R.W. Rea • Sela's Armed Freighter • I.R.W. Sithesh|
|Quick Faction Navigation Toolbar (ordered by quadrant)|