Praetor is the title of head of state and the head of government in the Romulan Star Empire and thus, is the highest position in the empire's hierarchy. As of 2409, this title has been supplanted due to the revived monarchy. The last Praetor was Sela, however, her predecessor in office, Taris, still considers herself the rightful Preator of the Star Empire.
Powers and responsibilities[edit | edit source]
- To gain and hold power, the Praetor relies on alliances with the Senate, the military, the Tal Shiar and/or the noble houses. The position is not gained via democratic elections. Three of the last four Praetors left their offices unwillingly, two of them by death. Even when the Praetor is backed by the military, he or she may not be supreme commander of the armed forces. Still, the Praetor has the largest influence in the Star Empire.
- The official body electing a Praetor is the Continuing Committee.
- Praetors are most often full-blooded Romulans, although Shinzon was biologically Human (but considers himself a Reman) and Sela a Romulan/Human hybrid.
- Before the destruction of Romulus the Praetor resided in the planet's capital, Ki Baratan.
- A proconsul serves as the aide of the Praetor and may succeed in this position.
History[edit | edit source]
- For a short period, the leader of the Remans, Shinzon, is the Praetor of the Romulan Star Empire. His death at the Battle in the Bassen Rift in 2379 destabilizes the empire.
- Senator Tal'aura soon assumes title and position and reigns until her death in 2384. Her clashes with the leader of the military, Commander Donatra, results in the secession and formation of the Imperial Romulan State. (2381)
- The Romulan Senate greatly expanded the Praetor's powers in 2383: The Praetor may now grant or remove noble titles and declare war without the Senate's approval.
- After Tal'aura's death, Empress Donatra, Tal Shiar leader Rehaek and Proconsul Sela agree to share power and reform the Continuing Committee but no new Praetor is elected. (2385)
- With the destruction of Romulus in 2387 the Star Empire falls into disarray.
- In 2391 Taris is recognized as leader of the Romulan Star Empire by the leading colony worlds Rator III and Achernar Prime. Praetor Taris makes Rator III the new capital planet of the empire.
- A people's vote points in favor of the reestablishment of the Praetor office instead of creating a monarchy in 2394. Taris is elected Praetor of the Star Empire by the Romulan Colonial Organizational Committee.
- Due to an outbreak of Bloodfire Praetor Taris orders all shipments from and to Kevratas cut. (2396).
- Following that, Kevratas declares independence. Taris orders the head of the military, Tebok to put down the insurgency by force but instead he settles an agreement. The Senate overrules Taris' order for Tebok to step down. (2397)
- The now more powerful Senate clashes with Taris in 2400 and restricts the Praetor's power further despite her objections.
- A rebellion, led by Sela and Velal, starts in 2401 and demands Praetor Taris to step down. Later on, some colony worlds join the rebellion. When their fleet arrives at Rator III in 2403, Taris is nowhere to be found. Sela becomes Praetor of the Romulan Star Empire.
- Praetor Sela blackmails the Senate to reform it into her liking over a period of time. (2405)
- In 2407 Sela begins to revive the idea of monarchy and is crowned Empress of the Romulan Star Empire in 2408, thus abolishing the Praetor's office.
List of Praetors[edit | edit source]
- Shinzon (2379)
- Tal'aura (2379-2384)
- Chulan (2384-2387)
- vacant (2387-2394)
- Taris (2394-2403)
- Sela (2403-2408)
- position abolished (since 2408)
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Killing 1,000 Romulan NPCs grants the Accolade "Praetor" title and power.