While there are presently six playable factions in Star Trek Online, there are only two "allegiances": Starfleet and the Klingon Defense Force (KDF). In order to be members of the same self-organised 5-players group as well as of a fleet, players have to have the same allegiance. However, there is no faction vs faction PvP (except for War Zones and private queue-PvP) and PvE queue group content is completely cross-faction/allegiance.
Nevertheless, each playable faction offers a number of unique storyline missions, exclusive access to certain player races, costume options and starships, as well as a specific UI, rank-up voices and rank names.
Note that some species in playable factions may also be present in NPC factions, such as Vulcans and Orions. Playable factions may also be encountered as an antagonistic NPC faction by other playable factions.
Summary[edit | edit source]
|Main faction Hub||Available races||Rank-up voice||Released|
|Starfleet||1-65||Starfleet||24||Earth Spacedock||14 free
|Leonard Nimoy||02 Feb 2010|
|Klingon Defense Force||1-65||Klingon Defense Force||23||First City||6 free
|Michael Dorn||02 Feb 2010|
|Romulan Republic||1-65||Starfleet or
Klingon Defense Force
|30||New Romulus Command||2 free
|Denise Crosby||21 May 2013|
(Legacy of Romulus)
|TOS Starfleet||1-65||Starfleet||12||Earth Spacedock (23rd Century)
|4 free||Leonard Nimoy||6 Jul 2016|
(Agents of Yesterday)
Klingon Defense Force
|3||Deep Space 9
|René Auberjonois||5 Jun 2018|
(Victory is Life)
|DSC Starfleet||1-65||Starfleet||7||Starfleet Academy (23rd Century)
|3 free||Mary Wiseman||9 Oct 2018|
(Age of Discovery)
- Except for Starfleet and KDF characters, all players of other factions have to permanently declare allegiance with Starfleet or the Klingon Defense Force several missions into the game. After that, they gain additional access to either Starfleet or Klingon social hubs, starships, duty as well as bridge officers, costume options, and fleets.
- Until the release of Legacy of Romulus, a Starfleet character had to be leveled to 20 in order to unlock the creation of a Klingon character that would also be level 20.
- The 7 missions of the Gamma Quadrant arc contain a lot of personalized dialogue for Dominion characters and can, thus, be considered part of the Dominion tutorial.
Allegiances[edit | edit source]
Because of the original PvP dynamic of the game, the Starfleet and the Klingon Defense Force are Star Trek Online's primary factions. All other factions ally with one of these two factions at some point in their storyline, which gives them access to the majority of the endgame content (such as cross-faction missions, access to allied Fleets and starships).
- At the end of “Turning Point” Romulan Republic players will be asked by Proconsul D'Tan to ally with either the Starfleet or the Klingon Defense Force.
- Completing the “The Battle of Caleb IV” will transport TOS Starfleet players to 2409 Earth Space Dock where they will automatically be allied to the 25th century Starfleet.
- At the end of “Turn the Tide” Jem'Hadar players will be asked by Ambassador Odo to ally with either the Starfleet or the Klingon Defense Force.
- Completing the “Downfall” will transport DSC Starfleet players to 2409 Earth Space Dock where they will automatically be allied to the 25th century Starfleet.
Starfleet (post-Star Trek: The Next Generation era)[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Starfleet
Star Trek Online was originally conceived as being centered around Starfleet gameplay. The player takes the position of a contemporary Starfleet officer in the vein of the main characters of the Star Trek: The Next Generation era, although the setting is a few decades post the events of the series.
Klingon Defense Force[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Klingon Defense Force
The Klingon faction was initially implemented as a mostly PvP-centered mini-faction and characters started at level 20 (and only once a player had reached level 20 on the Starfleet faction). When Legacy of Romulus was introduced the Klingon Faction was given a new tutorial and broadly equal standing.
Romulan Republic[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Romulan Republic
The Romulan faction was introduced with Legacy of Romulus and puts players in the role of a breakaway faction of Romulans (not the Romulan Star Empire from canon, which is an antagonist to the Republic). To make up for the smaller amount of content, and allow Romulan characters to participate in the Starfleet vs Klingon PvP, Romulan characters ally themselves to one of those two main factions. This allows them to play their ally's missions, fly their ships and visit their homeworlds.
TOS Starfleet (Star Trek: The Original Series era)[edit | edit source]
- Main article: TOS Starfleet
The TOS Starfleet faction is the Federation from Star Trek: The Original Series. Players begin in the 23rd century but only have one episode arc there before their continuity joins to the main Starfleet faction. They retain their unique effects but broadly integrate entirely into the Starfleet faction from an early level. They lack the number of faction-exclusive the Romulans have and cannot visit their starting faction hub once they move to the 25th century.
Dominion[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Dominion
Dominion characters start at level 60 with sections of their reputation and R&D filled out. After their introductory episode, they ally (similar to Romulan Republic faction) to either the Starfleet or the Klingons. This allows them to play their ally's missions, fly their ships and visit their homeworlds. Like the TOS faction, the number of faction-exclusive ships is limited and they do not have a permanent faction-exclusive hub (instead using the shared Deep Space 9 zone).
DSC Stafleet (Star Trek: Discovery era)[edit | edit source]
- Main article: DSC Starfleet
The DSC Starfleet faction is the Federation from Star Trek: Discovery. Players begin in the 23rd century but only have one episode arc there before their continuity joins to the main Starfleet faction. They retain their unique effects but broadly integrate entirely into the Starfleet faction from an early level. They lack the number of faction-exclusive the Romulans have and cannot visit their starting faction hub once they move to the 25th century.
References[edit | edit source]
- Available for Starfleet via purchase from the C-Store
- Exclusively available to lifetime subscribers
- Available for the Klingon Defense Force via purchase from the C-Store
- Available for Romulan Republic via purchase from the C-Store or by unlocking Tier V of the New Romulus Reputation.
- Available for Dominion via purchase from the C-Store.