Photonics, or photonic lifeforms are a non-playable sentient lifeform based on photons, particles of light and energy. Photonic lifeforms can be naturally occurring, though most are artificially-created holograms.
History[edit | edit source]
When the EMH Mark I of the U.S.S. Voyager, simply called "the Doctor", returned to Earth in 2378, the rights of sentient artificial lifeforms in the Federation had to be re-examined. With the Soong Foundation being dedicated to this cause, a lengthy lawsuit, lasting from 2382 to 2394, eventually resulted in the Doctor being recognized as a sentient being. In 2404, the Soong Foundation demanded Starfleet to free all its sentient holograms, including all other EMHs. However, as holosuites are considered an essential form of recreation for its personnel, Starfleet appealed the injunction.
As of 2409, a group of photonic lifeforms has founded a colony in the Ra'kholh System lead by Doctor Marius, a former Starfleet EMH Mark I. He was liberated from a dilithium mine in Federation space with the help of activists from the Soong Foundation. Aside from that, sentient holograms work in different fields, e.g., Gein, who is a maintenance engineer for hazardous environments, or Rivv Enda, who is a freelancer holonovel author.
NPCs[edit | edit source]
Bridge officers[edit | edit source]
- Photonic Tactical Officer Candidate - from Lobi Crystal Consortium 300.
- Photonic Engineering Officer Candidate - awarded for competing all storyline missions on a Delta Recruit.
- Holo Leeta Tactical Officer - Mirror Admiral Uniform - given out at special events.
- Doctor (Bridge Officer) - convention giveaway
- Dabo Leeta Tactical Officer - Available as a promotional giveaway at FedCon 2016 or via the Arc Black Friday rewards promotion.
- TOS Holographic Bridge Officers - Promotional giveaway for visiting Star Trek conventions in 2016.
- Geordi La Forge (Hologram) - Promotional giveaway at Star Trek Las Vegas 2017.