- Player race: The player is able to create a character in this species. Note further species can be approximated through via the "Alien" race, but this is not registered as a particular race and does not benefit from race-specific traits.
- Bridge Officer: The player can recruit bridge officers of that race, many of whom have access to specific traits.
- Duty Officer: The player may recruit duty officers of that race. They are not seen as a ground NPC but are listed as members of the player's crew.
- Non-Player Character: The species is seen in-game with ground NPC, but cannot be recruited by the player in any form.
Primary Races[edit | edit source]
- Note: Romulans access their ally's Bridge Officer choices after they pick their ally. Likewise, 23rd century characters have access to the Federation bridge officers once they arrive in the 25th century.
The following races appear in Star Trek Online in some form:
Unique species[edit | edit source]
Beyond most humanoid species, and others with whom communication is relatively easy, there are a large number of other forms of life, sentient and otherwise. These include space-born races (Cosmozoans) such as the Crystalline Entity and Gekli to more terrestrial-bound creatures such as the Sehlat and Aehallh Worm.
Mentioned only[edit | edit source]
Some races do not appear in game, but are referenced either in dialogue, via items or otherwise written down in game. These include;
Cryptic-created[edit | edit source]
There are numerous races in Star Trek Online that were created for the game, including: Adduelit, Adelko, Aelasan, Amlevian, Apllintok, Attose, B'abynii, Bexxian, Beyentic, Boktian, Bounc, Brethax, Crimto, Dalankrit, Daxxtarian, Deferi, Dia'fene, Draconian Dref, Easathir, Eashoya, Eohk, Glentika, Hylasa, Icarian, Kenshek, Kentari, Kibo Cri'Box, Liposhen, Marfuu, Meltzilian, Mokia, Palatid, Phanoian, Pirx, Queii, Rinketian, Roliean, Sa'ggenth, Scoodian, Se'Reilian, Starlian, Sterenko, Strekkelan, Szenenasch, Tegitrev, Thalian, T'lonian, Tschummii, Unikuian, Ventraxian, Vito'D, Widrab, Xaraxian, and Zantil.
But many, such as Aelasan, Dalankrit, Dia'fene, Mokia and Xaraxian have since had all instances of them removed.