Motto: "March beneath the raptor's wings"
(Legacy of Romulus)
The Romulan Republic is one of the playable factions in Star Trek Online. Born out of the Vulcan reunification movement and the Reman Resistance, the Romulan Republic was formed in 2409 as an alliance of Romulans and Remans who wish to build a peaceful civilization as opposed to Empress Sela's oppressive Star Empire. The Republic is centered on New Romulus, though it also controls several systems and colonies throughout the Beta Quadrant.
Members of the Romulan Republic cannot build their own Fleet starbases. Instead, at level 10, a player of the Romulan Republic has to ally either with the Federation or the Klingons, enabling this character to join the chosen ally's fleets and visit its social hubs while still remaining part of an otherwise separate Romulan faction.
Player Characters[edit | edit source]
Like Federation and Klingon characters, Romulan players must choose a career path (analogous to a 'class' from other MMORPGs) and a species. Neither can be subsequently altered. Later, when the player reaches a higher rank, a new starship must also be selected, which can, however, be changed at any time.
- "Both Starfleet and the Klingon Defense Force have agreed to take Romulans into their forces. I'd like you to be the first. You will be our eyes, ears and hands in their fleets. More importantly, you will be our voice. Where you serve is your choice. But wherever you go, always remember that you are Romulan."
At the end of “Turning Point”, i.e. when reaching level 10, players of the Romulan Republic also have to choose an ally, the Klingon Empire or the Federation. Romulan characters will retain their UI, specific storyline as well as their exclusive access to Warbirds, costumes, and certain Republic hubs. However, they cannot build their own fleet starbases and will instead be able to join fleets and teams, as well as visit social hubs of their chosen ally. Republic players therefore have access to more hubs than any Federation or Klingon Empire player.
Races[edit | edit source]
Romulan Republic characters have a range of races to choose from, each of which offers unique traits and abilities. A player's choice of race is important and cannot be changed, so it is advisable to choose carefully.
|Available on completion
of New Romulus
Reputation Tier V
or via Legacy Pack
|Free||No species trait, instead Alien captains are given one extra trait slot each for ground and space|
Starships[edit | edit source]
The Romulan Star Empire has long been one of the dominant powers in the Alpha Quadrant. Boasting unparalleled cloaking technology, powerful Plasma and Disruptor weaponry, and the resourcefulness to quickly develop countermeasures for the tactics of other factions, Romulans were a key force in many conflicts since the 2150s.
Warbirds – the most iconic of Romulan vessels – have formed the backbone of the Romulan military for centuries. With the destruction of Romulus, these Warbirds have become a lasting symbol of the once mighty empire’s strength – as well as a new home for some of the many refugees in the wake of their planet’s destruction.
- Romulans are masters of Cloaking technology, and all Warbirds are equipped with a cloaking device. In addition, the Romulan racial trait – Subterfuge – enhances the performance of cloaking devices and increases the damage that their ships deal after lowering their Cloak.
- Romulan ships tend to be large and heavy, making them somewhat slower and less maneuverable than comparable Federation and Klingon Defense Force ships. The iconic D’deridex-class, for example, is larger and more resilient than the Starfleet's Exploration Cruiser – but considerably slower as a result.
- Unlike Federation and Klingon Defense Force vessels, Romulan Warbirds are powered by a unique Singularity Warp Core. The Singularity Warp Core can build power as the Romulan ship engages in combat, and then utilize this power to produce one of several devastating effects on the battlefield.
- As an added consequence of their unique Warp Core, Warbirds create a deadly Singularity implosion when they are destroyed.
Although Warbirds form the backbone of the Romulan military, there are other ships, exclusive to Romulan Republic, which behave more like their Federation and Klingon Defense Force counterparts. These starships, such as Suliban Flight-Deck Assault Cruiser or Dewan Pilot Escorts, are powered by a classic Matter Anti-Matter Warp Core.
Characters of the Romulan Republic may also fly almost any ship of their respective ally - the Federation or the Klingon Empire. Ally ships which remain unusable by the Romulan Republic characters are:
- Chimera/Manticore Heavy Destroyer (All variants)
- Peghqu'/Duvqu' Heavy Destroyer (All variants)
- Wells/Verne Temporal Science Vessel (All variants)
- Korath/Qul'poH Temporal Science Vessel (All variants)
- Mobius/Klein Temporal Destroyer (All variants)
- Krenn/Chargh'poH Temporal Destroyer (All variants)
- Command Assault Cruiser (All variants)
- NX Escort Refit
- Prototype Dreadnought Cruiser
Storyline missions[edit | edit source]
Culture[edit | edit source]
The New Romulans desire to live peacefully, leaving behind the secrecy and deception forced upon them by the Star Empire. Many of the Republic's Romulan population also desires to reunify with the Vulcans, as their two races share a common ancestry.
History[edit | edit source]
- Main article: History of the Romulan and Reman peoples
- The origins of the Republic can be traced back to the teachings of Spock during his time on Romulus with the Reunificationists. Many of his followers, including D'Tan, seek to escape the constant fear and paranoia that pervades the Star Empire, and were given an opportunity to do so following the Hobus supernova in 2387.
- By 2409 the Republic - not yet recognized as a faction separate from the Star Empire - controls a number of warbirds, many of them older designs that have fallen out of service with the Romulan Star Navy.
- That same year, the Republic colonizes Dewa III, which it renames "New Romulus" and declares it to be its new capital. Shortly after, the Federation, the Klingon Empire and the Romulan Star Empire convene a conference on Khitomer in order to discuss full diplomatic recognition of the Romulan Republic. Although the Federation and the Klingon Empire both recognize and agree to support the Republic, Empress Sela of the Star Empire vows to hunt down and punish D'Tan and his followers.
- Later in 2409, an Iconian gateway leading to the Solanae Dyson Sphere at the Beta-Delta Quadrant border is discovered and re-activated in the Republic-controlled Jouret System. Being in a similar position as Bajor when the Bajoran wormhole was discovered, the Dyson Joint Command is formed under the command of the Romulan Republic but in close cooperation with the Federation and the Klingon Empire in order to explore and secure the Dyson Sphere on the far-side of the gateway.
- In early 2410, the Republic further progresses on its path to be an equal partner among the Federation and the Klingon Empire, when it takes part in a conference in the newly discovered Jenolan Dyson Sphere deep within the Delta Quadrant. The Romulan Republic soon actively assists in defending both Earth and Qo'noS from an Undine surprise attack and subsequently participates in a cease-fire meeting between the Empire and the Federation.
- Later in 2410, New Romulus is attacked by the Heralds of the Iconians after the cold war against them heats up. Despite heavy losses, the Republic together with the Federation, Klingon Empire and many other allies from the entire galaxy can end the Iconian War.
Politics[edit | edit source]
The Romulan Republic has a democratic government. Proconsul D'Tan is the current head of state.
The New Romulans maintain peaceful relations with the Federation, and are also working with the Klingon Empire. The latter sees helping them as a way of conquering one of their greatest enemies without lifting a blade, and it also allows them to devote more resources toward preparing for greater threats.
Despite its peaceful intentions, the Republic is at odds with a number of factions, most notably the Tal Shiar and the Tholian Assembly - Hirogen hunters are frequently sighted on New Romulus as well.
Military (NPC)[edit | edit source]
The Republic has access to most of the Star Empire's starship designs. They typically (though not always) use the prefix R.R.W. (Romulan Republic Warbird).
Starships[edit | edit source]
Ground Forces[edit | edit source]
Space[edit | edit source]
- Romulan Republic sectors
- Romulan Republic systems
- Romulan Republic planets
- Reman systems
- Reman planets
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Romulan Republic was added to the game on November 12th, 2012 as part of Season Seven: New Romulus, continuing the storyline of Cloaked Intentions.
- The Republic became a playable faction on May 21st, 2013, as part of the Legacy of Romulus expansion.
|Quick Faction Navigation Toolbar (ordered by quadrant)|
α — |
Location of homeworld unknown or somewhere outside the Prime universe Milky Way galaxy