Locations[edit | edit source]
- Bozeman, Montana: visiable only via “First Contact Day Re-Enactment”
- Starfleet Academy: Player duty officer recruitment
- Starfleet Headquarters: only via “Vorgon Conclusions”
- Aenigma Nebula: access to captains table
- Earth Spacedock: Primary Federation player hub
- Luna: colonized in 21st century (not visitable)
- San Francisco Fleet Yards: shipyards seen in orbit (not visitable)
History[edit | edit source]
Distant past[edit | edit source]
4.5 Billion years ago, Earth was seeded with humanoid life by the Preservers. The first actual life on Earth appeared 3.5 billion years ago, over time evolving into two sentient species, Voth and Humans. Several million years ago, the Voth left Earth, leaving Humanity to become the sole sentient, humanoid species on the planet.
Space exploration[edit | edit source]
Compared to their galactic neighbors, Humans began the exploration of space comparatively recently. They achieved powered atmospheric flight at the beginning of the 20th century, and rapidly progressed to short-range space flight based on chemical rocketry within the next 60 years.
In the 1960s, Humans started to explore their own solar system, including manned landings on Earth's satellite Luna. Over the next few decades, they also sent out numerous unmanned probes which landed on, flew by, or orbited Mars, Venus, and the other planets of the Sol System.
In 2063 humanity's first warp flight was conducted by Zefram Cochrane, leading to the First Contact between Vulcans and Humans. They quickly established a United Earth government and a number of offworld colonies. Earth operated a number of low-speed warp freighters under the Earth Cargo Authority, and later a military force was established, known as Starfleet, and based in San Francisco on the North American continent.
It was not until almost a century later, that Starfleet launched its first deep-space exploration vessel, Enterprise, which was capable of Warp 5. At this time, Starfleet also operated a number of slower ships used for short range military and exploratory operations and for planetary defense.
In the years following the launch of Enterprise, Earth began to play an increasingly important role in the politics of the Alpha and Beta Quadrant. By 2155 Earth had allied itself with Tellar, Vulcan, and Andoria, and made contact with the Klingon Empire. Earth and its allies also fought a war with the Romulan Star Empire in the 2150s.
In 2161 the anti-Romulan alliance became permanent as the United Federation of Planets, with the Earth city of Paris becoming its main seat of government, and Starfleet becoming the military arm of the Federation government. (Inscriptions at Starfleet Academy date its founding to this year, although the Academy was almost certainly established some years earlier.)
24th century[edit | edit source]
Even though Earth has been considered a peaceful, almost utopian world for centuries, the planet has come under severe threats by alien forces several times since the late 24th century. Most notably, the Borg tried to assimilate Earth in 2367 and 2373, and the planet was attacked by Breen forces during the Dominion War in 2375. In 2409 it is discovered that Earth is actively monitored by the Iconians, among several other planet in the Milky Way.
Missions involved[edit | edit source]
- “Graduation Day”: New Federation players begin their career on the Starfleet Academy grounds on the day of their graduation in 2409.
- “Welcome to Earth Spacedock”: The player is introduced to Earth Spacedock.
- “First Contact Day Re-Enactment”: Players participate in a rocket-building contest at the Zefram Cochrane Museum in Bozeman, Montana.
- “Vorgon Conclusions”: Daniels brings the player back to 24th century Earth during the Breen invasion, where they infiltrate Starfleet headquarters.
- “Sphere of Influence”: In 2409, it is revealed that Earth is one of several planets monitored by the Iconians. The planet is under level 4 surveillance and suggested to better be destroyed than occupied.
- “Surface Tension”: In early 2410, Earth, Earth Space Dock and Luna come under attack by Undine forces.
- “Blood of Ancients”: The powers of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants hold a joint briefing on Earth Spacedock.
- “Butterfly” (simulation only): In a simulation of a timeline change, the player, defending Earth, witnesses the Dominion invasion of the world.
- “Midnight”: The Iconians invade the Sol System, engaging Alliance defenders in orbit of the planet.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- It is likely that the Voth gained sentience and created space-faring technology long before Humanity. However, it is never actually established how they managed to leave Earth for the Delta Quadrant.
- Even though first contact between Humans and Vulcans did not occur until 2063, the planet has been visited by several alien species before that. Among them were Devidians, the Borg and even Vulcan observers.
See also[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Earth at Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki.
- Earth at Memory Beta, the non-canon Star Trek Wiki.
- Earth on Wikipedia
- Earth at Starbase UGC, the user-generated-content Wiki for STO.