- For the Undine device of the same name see Planet Killer (Undine).
- Doomsday Machine redirects here, for the related mission see “The Doomsday Device”.
The Planet Killer, also referred to as the "Doomsday Device" or "Doomsday Machine", is an ancient, spaceborne device shielded by a neutronium hull and capable of obliterating entire star systems.
History[edit | edit source]
In 2267, the Planet Killer completely obliterates System L-370 and subsequently heavily damages the investigating USS Constellation. After Commodore Matt Decker sacrifices himself by flying into the "throat" of the machine, it can finally be disabled, but not completely destroyed, by the U.S.S. Enterprise (NCC-1701).
Some time later Na'kuhl once again approached several factions, offering them Doomsday Devices, ancient weapons of immense power, in exchange for support in the Temporal Cold War. Amongst those factions were the Klingon Empire, Orion Syndicate and Romulan Star Empire. These factions launched planet killers at Federation bases, but their plans were thwarted with assistance from the future. ( “Days of Doom”)
With some assistance from allies in 25th century, Daniels, a Temporal Agent from 31st century, put a stop to a brief alliance between the Na'kuhl and Romulans of 23rd century. Na'kuhl specialist Krog gave Romulan administrator Chulak one of the planet killers, but deal went sideways when Daniels disrupted their control over the ancient weapon, causing it to fire indiscriminately. Romulans turned against the Na'kuhl, destroying N.V. Retribution, but the unleashed Planet Killer crashed into their colony, annihilating the whole planet. ( “The Core of the Matter”)
In 2409, Ambassador B'vat used the knowledge of his ancestors to recover a planet killer. He attempted to use it on Federation world to push the Federation deeper into war with the Klingon Empire. With assistance from Klingons who deemed such action dishonorable, Starfleet destroyed the Doomsday Device in Imaga System. ( “The Doomsday Device”)
Controlling the Doomsday Machine[edit | edit source]
Some time in the future, Na'kuhl made a breakthrough in controlling the Doomsday Machine. They constructed a command unit which, each time the Doomsday Machine attempts to engage its primary directives, beams a single pulse to planet killer's command core, stopping the machine. Daniels attempted to use the command unit to deactivate the Doomsday Machine over Romulan colony world, but failed. ( “The Core of the Matter”)
Missions involved[edit | edit source]
- “The Doomsday Device”: In 2409, the Planet Killer obliterates a moon in the Imaga System after having been reactivated by B'vat as a means to indefinetely prolong the Federation-Klingon War. Thanks to K'Valk, a Klingon defector who sacrifices himself in the same way Matt Decker did ca. 150 years earlier, the device can subsequently be destroyed by a Starfleet task force including a commandeered Bird-of-Prey.
- “The Core of the Matter”: The Na'kuhl present the Romulan Star Empire with a Planet Killer at the Galorndon Core System in the 23rd Century. The player must prevent the Romulans from acquiring it and changing the balance of power in the galaxy.
- “Days of Doom”: The player travels to the 23rd Century and teams with Montgomery Scott to prevent a Planet Killer unleashed by the Na'kuhl from destroying a starbase.