The Dominion is a major galactic political power based in the Gamma Quadrant, whose influence is exerted over thousands of planets there. It was created by the Changelings, a species of shapeshifters native to a rogue planet within the Omarion Nebula, who refer to themselves as "The Founders." The Dominion's subject worlds are kept in check by Vorta administrators and formidable Jem'Hadar soldiers.
Culture[edit | edit source]
Absolute rule of the Dominion remains in the hands of the Founders and their Great Link, whose decisions cannot be disputed under any circumstances. However, the Founders are largely content to leave the administration of the Dominion's daily affairs to the Vorta. The loyalty of the Vorta and the Jem'Hadar is genetically-engineered, which in most cases ensured absolute obedience to the Founders. The Founders themselves are rarely seen, even by their servant races, and are often treated as gods or myth. Due to such a social standing within the Dominion, most of what the Dominion's member races carry out are often for the glory of the Founders, or to please them in some way, similar to how religious figures would pray or carry out an action to please their god(s).
The Dominion prefers to eliminate threats through influence and espionage, only launching military strikes when the usual tactics are unsuccessful.
History[edit | edit source]
Origins[edit | edit source]
- Thousands of years ago the Changelings were a peaceful people who explored the galaxy much as Starfleet does today. However, they were persecuted by the "solids" they encountered, and eventually retreated to their homeworld in the Omarion Nebula. From there they founded a vast interstellar empire intended to remove or subjugate all potential threats to the Changelings and impose order on the galaxy. The Vorta and Jem'Hadar were genetically engineered to serve the Dominion as administrators and warriors, respectively.
- Over their history, the Dominion subjugated hundreds of races including the Dosi, Karemma, T-Rogorans, and Yaderans.
- At some point in their history the Changelings sent 100 infants to explore the galaxy and return to share what they had learned. Among them were Odo and Laas.
Dealings with the Alpha Quadrant[edit | edit source]
- In 2370, the Jem'Hadar destroyed a number of bases and starships from the Alpha Quadrant that had unknowingly entered Dominion territory through the Bajoran wormhole. Among these were the New Bajor colony and the Federation starship U.S.S. Odyssey.
- Following the initial hostilities, the Dominion began using espionage to destabilize the Alpha Quadrant. Changeling infiltrators replaced key members of numerous Alpha Quadrant powers and influenced them to attack each other. These infiltrations were responsible for a number of large-scale conflicts including the Klingon-Cardassian War, the second Federation-Klingon War, and the Battle of the Omarion Nebula.
- In 2373 the Dominion established a foothold in the Alpha Quadrant by allying with the Cardassian Union, and began bringing large fleets of warships through the wormhole to fortify their strength there.
Open War with the Alpha Quadrant[edit | edit source]
- Determined to prevent any more Jem'Hadar forces from entering the Alpha Quadrant, Captain Benjamin Sisko of Deep Space 9 placed thousands of self-replicating mines at the entrance of the wormhole. The Dominion responded by sending a fleet of 300 Jem'Hadar and Cardassian warships from Cardassia Prime to attack the station, eventually capturing it. Sisko and most of his senior staff escaped on the U.S.S. Defiant and regrouped with Starfleet and the Klingon Defense Force.
- Though the first few months of the Dominion War in 2374 were marked by several crushing defeats for the Federation Alliance, the re-taking of Deep Space 9 (with the help of the Prophets, who removed a fleet of 2,800 Jem'Hadar warships in the wormhole) turned the war around for the allies.
- Later that year, the Romulan Star Empire discovered evidence that the Dominion planned to violate their non-aggression pact and invade Romulus. As a result, they joined the war against the Dominion.
- The following year, Section 31 infected the Founders with a morphogenic virus to weaken the Dominion's leadership.
- Becoming desperate for a quick victory, the Female Changeling negotiated an alliance with the Breen Confederacy. Breen technology proved to be very effective against the Alliance: in the Second Battle of Chin'toka, more than 300 Federation, Klingon, and Romulan starships were destroyed. Fortunately, Starfleet was eventually able to develop technology to counteract the Breen weapons.
- Meanwhile, Legate Damar had become disillusioned with Cardassia's costly alliance with the Dominion, and formed a resistance movement.
- With the combined efforts of the Federation Alliance and Damar's rebels (the ranks of which now included the entire Cardassian military as well as most of Cardassia's civilian population), the Female Changeling finally surrendered at the Battle of Cardassia and the war ended. Odo cured her of the virus, and returned to the Gamma Quadrant to distribute the cure to the rest of his people. The Female Changeling was taken into custody and held at Facility 4028.
The New Link and the True Way[edit | edit source]
- While the powers of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants would have little to no contact with the Dominion in the Gamma Quadrant anymore for the following decades, Laas forms a New Link in the Alpha Quadrant. Independently from and unbeknownst to the Great Link in the Gamma Quadrant, he allies himself with the True Way and conscripts the services of the Alpha Jem'Hadar.
Missions involved[edit | edit source]
- “Second Wave”: The Vorta Loriss represents the Dominion forces which were lost in the Bajoran Wormhole in 2374 and suddenly reemerge in 2409.
- “Of Bajor”: Captain James Kurland and the player hail Loriss from Bajor and attempt to convince her that the Dominion War is over and to relinquish control of Deep Space 9.
- “Operation Gamma”: The player must bypass the Jem'Hadar blockade to enter the Gamma Quadrant and make contact with the "modern" Dominion, represented by the Vorta Eraun.
- “Facility 4028”: Eraun accompanies the player to Facility 4028 to retrieve the Female Changeling being held there since the end of the Dominion War in 2375.
- “Boldly They Rode”: Eraun accompanies the player to DS9 to negotiate the return of the station to the Federation. Loriss immediately complies when she sees the Founder, but her Jem'Hadar soldiers rebel against her. After the player defeats the Jem'Hadar, Loriss expresses her gratitude for the player's efforts.
- “Butterfly”: In a holodeck simulation of changes to the timeline resulting from the use of the Krenim temporal weapon, the player finds themselves on the bridge of a crippled U.S.S. Ajax in the midst of a Dominion invasion of the Sol System, a female Vorta commanding a Jem'Hadar warship demanding that the crew of the Ajax surrender.
- “Midnight”: In 2410, during the final battle against the Iconians and their Heralds in Earth orbit, Dominion forces suddenly arrive to assist the Iconian Resistance. The vessels are commanded by former Romulan Empress Sela, who had departed for the Gamma Quadrant several weeks earlier in order to solicit the Dominion's assistance.
Military[edit | edit source]
Starships[edit | edit source]
Ground Forces[edit | edit source]
Size charts[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
|Quick Faction Navigation Toolbar (ordered by quadrant)|