A Cyborg or cybernetic organism is a biological lifeform that has been augmented with technology, such as bionic implants or mechanical components, integrated into the body to improve existing functions or add new ones.
Sentient species known to have cybernetic implants are:
- Borg gets physically altered to perform certain functions more efficiently - limbs are replaced with weapons or medical tools, while their biological function is maintained by absorbing energy via regeneration alcoves. They have a constant link with the Collective, energy shield that protects against energy damage, and an eye implants for the improved vision and information gathering, to name a few.
- Liberated Borg are former Borg drones, no longer under the Collective. Majority of implants were removed, while only those that are vital to their survival are retained.
- Bynars have a part of their brain replaced with synaptic processor that connects them with master computer and other members of their species.
- Furiadon, Viriosaurus Rex and Dankanasaur are a reptilian lifeforms with cybernetic implants installed by the Voth, for use in combat purposes.
Prominent individuals with high level of cybernetic alterations:
- 0718, a Science officer serving aboard the U.S.S. Yorktown, and a bridge officer.
- Borg Queen, a leader of the Borg Collective.
- Marta Okataya, a bridge officer available to Federation players. Her alteration is similar to Jira Narwani, a former Lieutenant of the U.S.S. Discovery.
- Hugh, a former borg drone.
- Airiam - while she is not present in-game, players can slot traits named after her: Airiam's Augments and Airiam's Efficiency.
Prominent individuals with minor cybernetic implants: