History[edit | edit source]
The relevant history of the major political powers in the galaxy spans several notable periods.
|In the time before the 22nd century, many ancient civilizations arose and declined. Preservers, the Tkon and the Iconians are some of the oldest known races of the Milky Way. History also paved the way for space exploration and conquests on several notable Alpha and Beta Quadrant worlds, among them Vulcan, Romulus, Qo'noS and Earth.||Star Trek: First Contact|
|The 22nd century marked the first steps of Humanity into deep space and the founding of the United Federation of Planets. It also saw several notable first contacts.||Star Trek: Enterprise|
|The 23rd century marked a time of unstable politics and constant power struggles in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, notably between the Federation and the Klingon Empire. However, seeds were sown that led to a period of relative peace between the major powers in the following century.||Star Trek: Discovery|
Star Trek: The Original Series
The Original Movies
Kelvin Timeline Movies
|The beginning of the 24th century is marked by a relative peaceful time for the Federation. However, first contact with the Dominion and Borg led to major conflicts. This time also marked the beginning of the exploration of the Delta and Gamma Quadrants by Starfleet.||Star Trek: The Next Generation|
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Star Trek: Voyager
The Next Generation Movies
Star Trek: Picard
|So far, the 25th century is defined mostly by war and unrest in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. The major galactic powers face threats by the Borg, the Undine, the Iconians, and the Hur'q, among many others.||Star Trek Online|
|Following the 25th century, the Federation as well as other factions begin to use time travel on a regular basis. The Temporal Cold War includes time traveling factions from the 27th through 31st centuries.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
The in-game year[edit | edit source]
- The largest part of the story of Star Trek Online takes place in the years 2409, 2410 and 2411.
- Klingon, Romulan and Federation characters start in 2409 and the year 2410 is subsequently mentioned in the missions “Cold Storage” (Delta Recruit version) and “Surface Tension”. The in-game year following these missions is rarely mentioned on-screen.
- Characters from the DSC Starfleet and TOS Starfleet factions, will start in the years 2256 and 2270, respectively. As their story advances, they will join other characters in the year 2409.
- An oddity occurs in the mission “Quark's Lucky Seven”: Intelligence files on various races in this mission mention stardates that correspond to the years 2411 and 2412. Notably, the files would place the missions of Victory is Life (and thereafter) in the year 2412.
- The first formal confirmation that the game progressed to 2411 came from dialogue in “The Measure of Morality (Part 1)” where the player welcomes Burnham to 2411, but it is not stated when in the year it is so it is not possible to estimate how many previous missions may also have taken place in 2411.
- Most automatically generated stardates in the game (i.e. in the personal mission log) advance in real time, and might correspond to years after 2410. This must likely be regarded as as a production idiosyncrasy.
Timeline placement of Star Trek Online[edit | edit source]
- Star Trek Online takes place in the Prime Timeline. This is the story continuity which includes the events of all the Star Trek television series and the first ten movies.
- The biggest part of the game's story takes place in the early 25th century, roughly 30 years after the last on-screen appearance of the U.S.S. Enterprise-E in Star Trek: Nemesis and ten years after season 1 of Star Trek: Picard. Early missions for the Discovery and TOS Starfleet factions take place in the 23rd century, close to the setting of the respective series.
- The events of the Kelvin Timeline (as depicted in the 2009 Star Trek film and its sequels) are generally part of a separate continuity, as they take place in an alternate universe. However, the destruction of Romulus in 2387 was first mentioned in these movies, and the setting is visited during the mission “Terminal Expanse”.
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Most information in the timeline articles is derived from in-game sources, such as NPCs or system descriptions.
- Additional information comes from the novel The Needs of the Many, as well as Lore Blogs, Original Fiction stories, or developer comments by Cryptic Studio.
[edit | edit source]
- See Memory Alpha for detailed information about general Star Trek lore.