Lieutenant Junior Grade B'Elanna Torres (also known as B'Elanna Paris) is a hybrid Human/Klingon. She is best known for her tenure as the Chief Engineer of the U.S.S. Voyager when the ship was lost in the Delta Quadrant during the 24th Century. She is also the wife of Captain Tom Paris and mother of the U.S.S. Kirk's head of security Miral Paris.
History[edit | edit source]
B'Elanna was born in 2349 on the planet Kessik IV to a Klingon mother (Miral), and Human father (John Torres); her parents' relationship did not last however and B'Elanna was raised mainly by her mother from the age of five years.
In 2366, B'Elanna attended Starfleet Academy, but dropped out two years later.
In 2371, B'Elanna was a member of a Maquis cell under Chakotay, operating out of the Badlands. That same year, members of Chakotay's Maquis group along with the Federation starship U.S.S. Voyager were stranded 70,000 light years in the Delta Quadrant by the Caretaker. In order to survive, both groups agreed to join together as part of Voyager's crew, with Torres becoming the ship's Chief Engineer.
Missions involved[edit | edit source]
- “Mindscape” (mentioned): An illusion of Ensign Harry Kim comments frantically that B'Elanna should be with him in main engineering while the player attempts to stabilize Tuvok's mental defenses, and he can't figure out why she isn't there.
- “The Temple of my People” (mentioned): Captain Harry Kim remarks on B'Elanna's technical prowess when discussing advanced Vaadwaur communications equipment being used on Kobali Prime.
- “Dust to Dust”: B'Elanna appears in a flashback showing the death of the original Harry Kim in 2372 when the two were attempting to seal a hull breach on the U.S.S. Voyager.
- “Delta Flight” (mentioned): Captain Tom Paris remarks on how B'Elanna would be proud of their daughter's bravery and determination, and also comments on how Miral can be just as stubborn as B'Elanna. B'Elanna is also described by Andrew Westin as a "scary, scary woman".
- “Message From Another Time V” (mentioned): The player reads an after-action report from Commander Nereda where she recounts a mission to stop Na'kuhl agents from reprogramming a robotic Cardassian ship known as "Dreadnought" to destroy the U.S.S. Voyager when Voyager found the ship in the Delta Quadrant. When Nereda arrived, she discovered that because of B'Elanna's modifications to the ship's AI, the Cardassian ship had turned on the Na'kuhl and killed them all; having been programmed to kill Cardassians by B'Elanna, it also attempted to kill Nereda.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The cutscene where B'Elanna appears is based on a scene from the Star Trek: Voyager episode Deadlock.
- In Episode #207 of the Priority One Podcast, Lead Designer Al Rivera confirmed that veteran STO voice actress Lani Minella, not Roxann Dawson, provided the voice for B'Elanna Torres in the cutscene.
- The consumable item Banana Pancakes is based on B'Elanna's favorite childhood food.
External Links[edit | edit source]
- B'Elanna Torres at Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki.
- B'Elanna Torres at Memory Beta, the non-canon Star Trek Wiki.