Augments are genetically enhanced individuals who have had their genes deliberately altered for the purposes of giving them superior physical and/or mental abilities.
Physiology[edit | edit source]
Augments vary according to the primary DNA used. They are typically given enhanced strength and often intellect. This can give them a greater stature and combat proficiency but can also lead to them being harder to control as superior ability breeds superior ambition.
Use of augmentation[edit | edit source]
Federation[edit | edit source]
The Federation has outlawed genetic engineering and it has historically been used by the Denobulans. The ban was prompted by humanity's disastrous use of augmentation during the 1990s and the subsequent fall-out that impacted as late as the 23rd century via the crew of the S.S. Botany Bay.
Despite the ban, illegal modification does occur. While it can be successful, though subjects such as Julian Bashir must keep the procedure a secret, others can face psychological damage from the procedure. Such individuals are supported via Project Chrysalis.
In the 25th century, the Federation Science Council has given Julian Bashir permission to test various forms of genetic modification to find treatments for degenerative diseases such as the Irumodic Syndrome.
Klingon Empire[edit | edit source]
The Klingons experimented with genetic augmentation in the 22nd century. The experiments led to the Klingon augment virus deforming their appearance. Since then, they avoided the technology until the 25th Century when Amar Singh, a human scientist against the Federation's ban on augmentation, worked with the Klingons on H'atoria to develop Gorn hybrid augments for the Klingon war effort.
Aside from Klingon experiments, the Ferasans (who are part of the Klingon Empire by the 25th century) have been notable users of augmentation for the last 800 years. Their adoption of it led to a split in their race, with Caitians against its use and leaving.
Other Species[edit | edit source]
Missions involved[edit | edit source]
- “The Ultimate Klingon”: In 2409, the Korvat research facility is sacked by the KDF so they can find and interrogate Ghee P'Trell of his knowledge of augmentation. Following their defeat, the player attacks the research outpost on H'atoria where Amar Singh is experimenting with Klingon-Gorn Augments.
Missions mentioned[edit | edit source]
- “Facility 4028”: It is revealed that Singh became a prisoner at Facility 4028, where James Fadi Mehra (an Augment leader) can also be found.
NPCs[edit | edit source]
Duty officers[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
- Assignment chain: Caitian Diaspora
- Assignment chain: Unforgiven of Ferasa
- Assignment chain: Project Chrysalis