History[edit | edit source]
The relevant history of the major political powers in the galaxy spans several notable periods.
Distant past[edit | edit source]
In the time before the 22nd century, many ancient civilizations arose and declined. Preservers, the Tkon and the Iconians are some of the oldest known races of the Milky Way. History also paved the way for space exploration and conquests on several notable Alpha and Beta Quadrant worlds, among them Vulcan, Romulus, Qo'noS and Earth.
22nd century[edit | edit source]
23rd century[edit | edit source]
The 23rd century marked a time of unstable politics and constant power struggles in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, notably between the Federation and the Klingon Empire. However, seeds were sown that led to a period of relative peace in the following century.
24th century[edit | edit source]
The beginning of the 24th century is marked by a relative peaceful time for the Federation. However, several large-scale conflicts and catastrophes drastically changed the Alpha and Beta Quadrants since the 2360s. This time also marked the beginning of the exploration of the Delta and Gamma Quadrants by Starfleet.
25th century[edit | edit source]
So far, the 25th century is defined mostly by war and unrest in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. The major galactic powers face threats by the Borg, the Undine, the Iconians, and the Hur'q, among many others.
Future[edit | edit source]
Following the 25th century, the Federation as well as other factions begin to use time travel on a regular basis. The Temporal Cold War includes time traveling factions from the 27th through 31st centuries.
Notes[edit | edit source]
The in-game year[edit | edit source]
- The largest part of the story of Star Trek Online takes place in the years 2409 and 2410.
- Klingon, Romulan and Federation characters start in 2409 and the year 2410 is subsequently mentioned in the missions “Cold Storage” (Delta Recruit version) and “Surface Tension”. The in-game year following these missions is rarely mentioned on-screen.
- Characters from the Discovery Starfleet and TOS Starfleet factions, will start in the years 2256 and 2270, respectively. As their story advances, they will join other characters in the year 2409.
- An oddity occurs in the mission “Quark's Lucky Seven”: Intelligence files on various races in this mission mention stardates that correspond to the years 2411 and 2412. Notably, the files would place the missions of Victory is Life (and thereafter) in the year 2412. Other than that, there has been no confirmation about a further advancement of the in-game year, and official statements by Cryptic continue to reference the year as 2410.
- Most automatically generated stardates in the game (i.e. in the personal mission log) advance in real time, and might correspond to years after 2410. This must likely be regarded as as a production idiosyncrasy.
Timeline placement of Star Trek Online[edit | edit source]
- Star Trek Online takes place in the Prime Timeline. This is the story continuity which includes the events of all the Star Trek television series and the first ten movies.
- The biggest part of the game's story takes place in the early 25th century, roughly 30 years after the last on-screen appearance of the U.S.S. Enterprise-E in Star Trek: Nemesis. Early missions for the Discovery and TOS Starfleet factions take place in the 23rd century, close to the setting of the respective series.
- The events of the Kelvin Timeline (as depicted in the 2009 Star Trek film and its sequels) are generally part of a separate continuity, as they take place in an alternate universe. However, the destruction of Romulus in 2387 was first mentioned in these movies, and the setting is visited during the mission “Terminal Expanse”.
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Most information in the timeline articles is derived from in-game sources, such as NPCs or system descriptions.
- Additional information comes from the novel The Needs of the Many, as well as Lore Blogs, Original Fiction stories, or developer comments by Cryptic Studio.
See Also[edit | edit source]
- See Memory Alpha for detailed information about general Star Trek lore.
2390 • 2391 • 2392 • 2393 • 2394 • 2395 • 2396 • 2397 • 2398 • 2399
2400 • 2401 • 2402 • 2403 • 2404 • 2405 • 2406 • 2407 • 2408 • 2409