History[edit | edit source]
Shon is from Vega Colony, joined Starfleet in 2386, and worked as a liaison to the Romulans after the destruction of Romulus one year later. During his career, he would mostly serve as tactical officer, however, teaching at the Academy and even facing the Borg Collective in battle.
When the Borg attacked Vega Colony in early 2409, Shon's family is presumed killed or assimilated. Shon starts to suffer of severe survivor's guilt and would later become one of the most frequent patients of his counselor on the Enterprise. 
Shon had been promoted to Captain and was in command of the U.S.S. Belfast by 2409. During a routine patrol in that year, on stardate 86927.78, the ship discovered an abandoned Jem'Hadar vessel in the Enocha System. The origin of the decades old ship initially remained a mystery, and the crew, including Shon himself, boarded and secured the ghost ship. 
Missions involved[edit | edit source]
- “Temporal Ambassador”: In an alternate timeline, Shon is a laborer working for the Tholian Assembly at a base in the Azure Nebula. He commands a freighter called the Belfast, making freight runs for the Tholians. He provides a distraction for Federation players to sneak past a Tholian guard.
- “Devil's Choice” & “Shadow Play”: Commanding the Defiant-class Belfast, Cpt. Shon welcomes Federation players to Battlegroup Phi, which forms at Virinat in order to subsequently proceed to New Romulus. Here it joins with a joint Starfleet/KDF fleet assisting the Romulan Republic in defending New Romulus against an Elachi invasion fleet.
- “Taris”: Shon brings the Belfast to the Iconia System to take custody of Taris after she is captured by the Federation player.
- “Second Wave”: Captain Shon is the representative of Starfleet at the Borg conference on DS9. He offers Federation players three Duty Officer assignments to help with the maintenance of the Belfast. During the conference Shon makes his opinion clear but is evacuated during the battle with "The 2,800" - old Jem'Hadar forces that suddenly emerged from the Bajoran wormhole. The Belfast then aids the player in engaging the incoming enemy fleet.
- “Facility 4028”: When the rogue Jem'Hadar attack Facility 4028 in an attempt to capture the Female Changeling, Shon leads a small task force to defend the player's vessel. The Belfast is destroyed during the ensuing battle, but Shon and some of the crew escape.
- “Boldly They Rode”: The Enterprise-F, commanded by Captain Shon, arrives to help defeat the Dominion fleet at Deep Space Nine.
- “First Contact Day”: The player visits the bridge of the Enterprise at Utopia Planitia and meets with Va'Kel Shon and the rest of his crew.
- Romulan Republic-space system patrols (FED): Captain Shon will occasionally show up in the Enterprise to assist Federation players in combat while patrolling the various systems in Romulan Republic space.
- “Sphere of Influence”: Captain Shon is part of a Federation delegation sent to New Romulus to oversee the activation of a recently-restored Iconian gateway, but gets trapped on its farside along with others after a malfunction. Although he gets abducted by the Solanae, he survives their experiments and is quickly freed by Worf and the player. Shon later assists the player in commandeering and controlling a Solanae Obelisk Carrier by serving as acting tactical officer.
- “A Step Between Stars”: The Enterprise under Captain Shon assists Romulan Republic and Klingon players in the Jenolan Dyson Sphere against the Undine. After the immediate threat is over, Captain Shon wants to claim the Jenolan Sphere for the Federation, provoking a verbal confrontation between the three powers.
- “Surface Tension”: In early 2410, Rear Admiral Tuvok asks the player to assist in the organization of a conference of major Alpha and Beta Quadrant powers on the future of the Jenolan Dyson Sphere. Captain Shon accompanies the player to the talks, which are, however, cut short by an Undine surprise attack on the Sol and Qo'noS Systems. After joint Federation-Klingon-Romulan forces including the Enterprise prevailed, Captain Shon participates in a subsequent gathering in the Great Hall of the Klingon High Council, agreeing to establish a cease-fire between the Klingon Empire and the Federation.
- “Broken Circle”: Shon is present for the briefing prior to the Alliance's assault on the Herald Sphere.
Other involvement[edit | edit source]
- In the Original Fiction story Unexpected Honor, Shon visits Data on Earth, seeking advice regarding whether to accept command of the Enterprise.
- In Tales of the War #4, Captain Shon composes a letter of condolence to the parents of Ensign Joshua Madison, a recently-deceased engineering officer. He reflects on the lives endangered and lost in the war, and on the burden of command.
- In Tales of the War #13, it is revealed that the senior staff of the Enterprise have been making an efforts to provide Captain Shon with opportunities to rest during the Iconian War. Shon had resisted at first, but Counselor Mathias forced the issue.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Christine "Kestral" Thompson's STO short story in Star Trek Magazine
- Season 5 Dev Diary #6
[edit | edit source]
- Behind the scenes: Dave Rivas in studio recording lines for Cpt. Shon amongst others
- Official Blog - Star Trek Online: Tales of the War #4 (May 12, 2015)
- Official Blog - Star Trek Online: Tales of the War #13 (July 14, 2015)