The Undine (known to the Borg as Species 8472) are a non-humanoid species indigenous to fluidic space, a parallel universe filled with organic fluid rather than vacuum. They are referred to by the Klingons as "qa'meH quv", meaning "replacers of honor with dishonor."
Their DNA is formed by a triple helix which makes them very resistant to almost all forms of biological attack, including Borg assimilation. They stand approximately 3 meters tall and have a tripedal structure (three legs).
The Borg consider them to be "the apex of biological evolution".
Little is known about Undine culture. They are quite xenophobic, and rule their part in fluidic space with force.
The Undine utilize organic technology comprised of the same material they themselves are made of. This makes their vessels unusually resilient against Borg attacks. They are also capable of shape-shifting using a form of genetic manipulation, and can switch between different forms at will. Undine ships use Fluidic Antiproton weapons.
- The Borg discover the existence of the Undine, and invade fluidic space in an attempt to assimilate the species. The plan backfires, as the Undine are immune to their attacks and begin striking back at the Collective's territory in the Delta Quadrant.
- The U.S.S. Voyager - having been stranded in the Delta Quadrant three years earlier - wanders into the crossfire and narrowly escapes destruction at the hands of a Nicor Bioship. The crew discovers that the Undine intend to wipe out all life in the galaxy, and therefore represent a greater threat than the Borg. They form an alliance with the Collective, helping them to develop technology to use against the invaders in return for safe passage through Borg space.
- Equipped with enhanced Borg technology, Voyager enters fludic space and destroys four Undine vessels in a show of force. After returning to normal space and defeating thirteen more, the Undine determine that the invasion is not worth the price and withdraw their ships.
- Ja'rod, the leader of the Klingon House of Duras, is attacked by three shape-shifting aliens during his shore leave on Rha'darus. He kills two of them and manages to incapacitate the third for further interrogation. The shape-shifter reveals that it is an Undine, and that it was sent to kill and subsequently impersonate Ja'rod to infiltrate the Klingon High Command.
- Worf makes a personal appeal to the Federation Council and Starfleet for Federation support of the Klingons' fight against the Undine infiltration of the Alpha Quadrant. When he is rebuffed, he cuts ties with the Federation.
- The Gorn Hegemony surrenders to the Klingon Empire, and the Klingons publicly execute more than a dozen Undine infiltrators in the Gorn government and military.
- “Diplomatic Orders”: In 2409, Ambassador Sokketh of Vulcan is revealed to be an Undine infiltrator on P'Jem.
- “Stop the Signal”: An Undine agent infiltrates a Klingon listening post in the Bomari System. When the player attacks the base, the agent retreats to its Tethys Bio-Dreadnought.
- “Divide et Impera”: An Undine impersonating Admiral Zelle sends the player on a wild-goose chase to the Vendor System in order to assume the identity of Commander Selok.
- “War Games”: Undine have replaced the crew of the U.S.S. Athens and attempt to destroy the player's ship during a training mission in the Draylon System.
- “Facility 4028”: The player encounters the Undine who impersonated T'Vix during a prison break at Facility 4028.
- “A Gathering Darkness”: Shortly before Undine forces completely destroy Kessik IV after it was assimilated by the Borg, a Borg Sphere escapes with a captured Undine.
- “Assimilation”: The Borg have developed the technology needed to assimilate the Undine, and launch a second invasion of fluidic space. Meanwhile, the captured Undine is being assimilated on a Cube in the NGC-4447 System.
- “Fluid Dynamics”: Along with a Starfleet task force under the command of Admiral Tuvok on the U.S.S. Voyager, the player enters fluidic space in order to thwart the Collective's attempt to assimilate the Undine.
- The Undine are one of the factions that will randomly attack a Federation starbase in:
- “Colony Invasion”: The Undine are one of the factions that will randomly attack a Federation colony.
- “A Step Between Stars”: Eric Cooper reveals himself as an Undine infiltrator after tricking the player and Rear Admiral Tuvok into opening an Iconian Gateway into the Jenolan Dyson Sphere, thus giving the Undine an easy route into the Alpha Quadrant. The player must then defeat an Undine invasion force.
- “Surface Tension”: As a distraction from their main target, the Undine launch an ambush on the Sol System in early 2410, while in fact pushing to destroy Qo'noS with a planet killer.
- “Undine Assault”: Aside from the Sol and Qo'noS Systems, the Undine have also launched planet killers towards Gornar, Ferenginar, Cardassia Prime and Andoria. Joint Federation-Klingon-Romulan forces are dispatched to protect these worlds.
- “Undine Infiltration”: After exposing an Undine infiltrator in Hathon on Bajor, an entire secret base is revealed in caves beneath the city.
- “Viscous Cycle”: A joint Federation-Klingon-Romulan task force enters fluidic space in order to destroy Undine shipyards "growing" planet killers.
- “Fluidic Destruction”: The Undine battle players for control of the Undine Battlezone in the Solanae Dyson Sphere.
The Undine seem to have some form of state and military hierarchy, but neither the name nor the constitution are known.
- The word "Undine" comes from the Latin word for "wave", "unda", which relates to the nature of the Undine's realm, "fluidic space". "Undine" may also refer to undines, water elementals from the works of the German alchemist Paracelsus, also relating to the Undine's realm.
- When using the full Aegis set against Undine ships prior to Season 9, the Reactive shielding procs both Antiproton and Plasma resistance. This indicates that the Undine energy weapon is some kind of Plasma/Antiproton hybrid, similar to the Plasma-Disruptor Hybrid Beam Array.
- Following Season 9, Undine ship NPCs use Fluidic Antiproton weapons.
- Species 8472 at Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki.
- Species 8472 at Memory Beta, the non-canon Star Trek Wiki.
|Details||Undine • NGC-2447 System • Fluidic space • Undine Base • Pelia Sector|
|Ground Forces||Recruit • Guardian • Officer • Psi Warrior • Battle Leader • Unit Commander • Psi Commander • Undine Infiltrator • Overseer • War Master • Psi Master|
|Starships||Nicor Bioship • Dromias Bio-Cruiser • Vila Heavy Bioship • Tethys Bio-Dreadnought • Planet Killer (Undine)|
|NPCs||Eric Cooper • E'genn • Designate 4187 • Designate 3020 • Sokketh • T'Vala • T'Vix • Zelle|
|NPC starships||Elbe • Merak • Nykus • Osip • Zittau|
|Quick Faction Navigation Toolbar|