The U.S.S. Defiant (formerly U.S.S. Sao Paulo) is a Defiant-class escort and the successor to the prototype that was originally launched in 2370 under the command of Commander Benjamin Sisko, then-commanding officer of Deep Space 9. The prototype fought in the Dominion War and was eventually destroyed at the Second Battle of Chin'toka, after which the U.S.S. Sao Paulo was renamed and redeployed at DS9 shortly after its creation in 2375 in honor of the Defiant.
- Following the destruction of the original U.S.S. Defiant in 2375, the U.S.S. Sao Paulo (NCC-75633) is launched from Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards and renamed U.S.S. Defiant. It participates in the Battle of Cardassia, the final battle of the war.
- 2403: James Kurland is assigned to DS9, and takes command of the Defiant as well.
- By 2409 the Defiant is still in service, and still assigned to DS9.
- Captain Benjamin Sisko - (2371-2375)
- Captain James Kurland (2403-2409)
- First Officer Kira Nerys - (2371-2375)
- General Worf (2372-2375)
- Lt. Commander Julian Bashir - (2371-2375)
- Commander Nog - (2374-2375)
- “Assimilation of the Innocent”: The Defiant is part of a Starfleet task force that responds to a Borg invasion of the Vega System.
- “The Tribble with Klingons”: The Defiant helps the player defending the Tribbles in the Minos Korva System against the I.K.S. Kang, which is performing Tribble eradication duty.
- “Second Wave”: The Defiant helps evacuate DS9 during a rogue Jem'Hadar attack.
- “Boldly They Rode”: The Defiant leads the combined Starfleet-KDF fleet into the battle to retake DS9 from Kar'ukan's forces.
- Before "The 2800", the Defiant in the Minos Korva System had the registry NCC-75633-C.
- USS Defiant (2370) at Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki.
- USS Defiant (2375) at Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki.
- USS Defiant (NX-74205) (I) at Memory Beta, the non-canon Star Trek Wiki.
- USS Defiant (NX-74205) (II) at Memory Beta, the non-canon Star Trek Wiki.