From Star Trek Online Wiki
- For the mission, see “Taris”.
Taris is a former Praetor of the Romulan Star Empire notable for her involvement in the Hobus supernova event that caused the destruction of Romulus and Remus. She serves the Iconians, whom she refers to as "Dark Masters".
- In 2365 she holds the rank of Subcommander and captains the I.R.W. Haakona. In that year she participates in a mission to locate the lost planet Iconia in the hopes of recovering Iconian technology. While she succeeds in finding the planet, Captain Picard of the U.S.S. Enterprise-D is able to destroy the technology there before she can study it.
- In 2382 Taris, now an Admiral, is appointed by Fleet Commander Tomalak as his second-in-command. She is ordered to mobilize and re-organize Romulus’ military forces.
- When Tomalak suffers a defeat against Empress Donatra's fleet at Xanitla on Stardate 60900.31, Admiral Taris defects with twelve ships to the Imperial Romulan State (2383).
- The Empress sends Taris as representative to negotiations with the Romulan Star Empire at the Romulan capital, Ki Baratan, in 2384. Donatra recalls her when Praetor Tal'aura is found murdered. Taris is ordered to prepare for defending the Imperial territory.
- In the following two years, Taris maintains a low profile during the troubles between the two Romulan states and passes many her responsibilities over to General Tebok. Late in the year, the Admiral informs Donatra about her investigation concerning claims that the Sword of the Raptor Star has been recovered at Levaeri V. She remains there until 2387.
The Hobus supernova and rise to popularity
- That year, Taris ignores Donatra's order to return to Romulus and does not change course. In addition, she has Commander Arranhu send explosives into the Hobus star, causing it to go supernova and annihilate Romulus and Remus.
- Following the destruction of the Romulan homeworld in 2388, Admiral Taris recalls all remaining vessels to return to Romulan space.
- Over the next two years, she organizes these ships into a new fleet. She closes holes in the chain of command by approaching each ship's captain personally. Outside observers expect the Romulan military to be fully operational within seven months. Despite Taris' orders for the fleet to focus on relief efforts and the defense of border regions, Federation analysts warn that these ships could conquer civilian-led colony worlds to be brought under military control.
- In 2391 Starfleet Command pulls back from the Klingon-Romulan border. Admiral Taris silences complaining colony leaders with a sharp rebuke: "We are Romulan. We fight our own battles. I would rather see Romulans die with pride in their hearts and swords in their hands instead of mewing for protection like scared younglings."
- Later that year, a Klingon Councilor, J'mpok, commands a fleet of loyal houses to invade the Zeta Pictoris System. His forces are defeated by a Romulan fleet led by Admiral Taris.
Reigning the empire
- Following her decisive victory, Rator III proclaims herself Praetor of the Star Empire. Achernar Prime and a dozen others worlds chime in. In response to that, Taris broadcasts in an empire-wide address: "I am a military commander, and I would prefer to remain so. The seas of politics are rife with submerged hazards and hidden perils, and a wise person does well to avoid them. But my Empire calls and I cannot resist her plea." She calls for the colony leaders to meet at Rator III for select representatives for a new Romulan Senate, make plans for organizing a government and building a new capital.
- In 2392 the Romulan Colonial Organizational Committee, formed under Taris' directions, meets in the first completed building in Rihan, the new capital. Taris indicates her support for reviving the monarchy but notes that the Romulan people should have to decide whom to crown ruler.
- Several ongoing RCOC legislative sessions are interrupted by Admiral Taris and General Tebok, who argue about the role of the Romulan military. While the General wants to protect the core worlds by abandoning areas bordering Klingon space, Taris regards it as their duty to protect every world. No decision is found in the debate (2393).
- When a permanent government is formed in 2394, Taris is made Praetor of the Romulan Star Empire.
- Praetor Taris lodges an immediate complaint with the Federation Council when Captain Barax Wenn of the U.S.S. April reveals that the destroyed Starfleet ship U.S.S. Kelso was illegally using a cloaking device (2395).
Decline of popularity
- In 2396 the planet Kevratas is plagued by disease, making the Praetor quarantine Kevratas System by blockading it with Romulan ships, although a cure is available. Starfleet Admiral Zelle comments that Taris would be more compassionate if she saw someone dying from Bloodfire.
- Taris orders General Tebok to take down the resulting Kevratan insurrection. Instead, he refuses to fire on civilians and the Praetor orders him to resign his position as Fleet Commander. The Romulan Senate overrules her decision and Tebok remains in command of the military (2397).
- In the following year, Tebok promotes General Velal, who is openly critical of the Praetor and her policies.
- Tebok dies in 2399 when his ship, the I.R.W. Alth'lndor is destroyed by an antimatter containment failure. Praetor Taris orders that all fleets have to report to her directly until a new Fleet Commander is chosen. Velal objects to that and the Senate promptly passes a bill that calls for Senate approval for all high-level military appointments.
- The Senate seeks to restrict the praetor's power even more in 2400, causing a clash between them and Taris. In a rare personal appearance, she argues: "In the absence of a monarch, and at a time of extreme upheaval in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants we must have one voice to speak for our empire to the galaxy. Only by expanding the praetor's powers will we have stability and strength. A disharmonious chorus leads to chaos." Although Taris sways some Senators to her side, her general unpopularity with the Romulan populace makes the Senate proceed with the plan to limit the praetor's executive power.
- As another possible problem for Taris, Starfleet Intelligence decode messages which make the reports about the Alth'lndor's destruction questionable.
- In 2401, General Velal enters an alliance with the exiled Sela in order to remove Taris from power.
Rebellion and removal from power
- The conflict further fractures the empire and Taris faces a growing rebellion when Kevratas and Abraxas Prime support Velal. According to Starfleet Intelligence reports, Taris is locked in her rooms for a few days when the Romulan Second Fleet approaches Rator III on Stardate 80957.96, however, when Velal's fleet enters orbit, she is already gone. The reign of Taris is over when the Senate proclaims Sela Praetor (2403).
- In 2407, Praetor Sela revives Taris' idea about a Romulan monarchy. Later on, she becomes Empress of the Star Empire.
- “Revelation”: In 2409, a Romulan Republic spy under Tal Shiar guise finds Taris in the Hobus System but she manages to escape through an Iconian gateway.
- “Taris”: On Iconia, the player discovers Taris's plan to travel through an Iconian gateway and meet with the Iconians directly, hoping they will turn back time and prevent the Hobus supernova from destroying Romulus and Remus. Her plan fails when she is betrayed by her Reman guards. Although Guard Commander Arranhu is killed, the surviving Remans use the gateway themselves, apparently escaping to some unspecified Romulan base. The player subsequently attacks Taris and takes her into custody. She maintains that Hakeev is truly responsible for the destruction of the Romulus System as he betrayed her, and that the player is now culpable by preventing her from contacting the Iconians to restore Romulus by reverting history. After a brief intervention by Sela, Taris is transferred to the U.S.S. Belfast.
- “Facility 4028”: Taris was held at Starfleet Facility 4028 but disappeared, with the only hint being an Iconian energy signature detected near her cell.
- “Uneasy Allies”: In 2410, the player and Sela encounter Taris aboard the Andromeda Dyson Sphere, where she is watching a massive Iconian fleet completely blocking the sphere's central star. Sela tells her that her hopes of changing the past and restoring Romulus are futile, as Iconians are physiologically unable to travel through time. Accusing her of being naive and stupid, Sela pushes Taris off a precipice.
Missions formerly involved
- “Taris (original)”: After Starfleet found out about Taris' role in the destruction of the Romulus System, they dispatch a ship to locate her. Taris and her Reman allies, including Commanders Arranhu and S'hanclado, are subsequently found and captured on Iconia. Here, she is also operating an Iconian gateway for her "masters" and still regards herself rightful Praetor of the Romulan Star Empire. After her detention, the Federation planned to cooperate with Empress Sela to put the war criminal on trial.
|Level||Standard Difficulty||Advanced Difficulty||Elite Difficulty|
- Taris' appearance was altered in the 2015 anniversary update to more closely resemble her appearance in Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Leonard James Akaar • Borg Queen • Richard Castillo • Female Changeling • Damar Kahn • Dexa • The Doctor • Donatra • D'Tan • Gaul • Hugh • Icheb • Jhet'leya • Kahless • Harry Kim • Klag • Kortar • Laas • Lamat'Ukan • Leeta • Leskit • Madred • Leonard McCoy • Morn • Neelix • Kirayoshi O'Brien • Miral Paris • Tom Paris • Ghee P'Trell • Q Junior • Alexander Rozhenko/K'mtar • Sirella • Montgomery Scott • Sela • Sessen • Seven of Nine • Spock • Taris • B'Elanna Torres • Tuvok • Naomi Wildman • Worf • Natasha Yar