The Tal Shiar was the intelligence gathering agency of the Romulan Star Empire during its height, and in the years since the destruction of Romulus in 2387 has evolved to become very nearly its primary military force.
Although a certain rivalry sometimes exists between the self-proclaimed Empress Sela and the Tal Shiar, the agency basically serves as her means of projecting power internally and externally. As such, the Tal Shiar is notoriously ruthless and secretive, stopping at nothing to defend the Empire's interests.
Missions involved[edit | edit source]
- “Virinat, Invaded”: The Tal Shiar and the Elachi allies invade Virinat and abduct or kill most of its inhabitants.
- “Flight from Virinat”: The player saves several escaping colonists from the Tal Shiar.
- “The Helix”: The I.R.W. Sharrdar, I.R.W. Koval, and several other warbirds attack a Suliban Helix in the Suliban Helix System.
- “Crossroads at Crateris”: The Tal Shiar and the Elachi attack Crateris, though much of the population manages to escape with the player's help.
- “Turning Point”: Tal Shiar forces attempt to sabotage a conference being held by the Federation and Klingon Empire on Khitomer to discuss recognizing and supporting the Romulan Republic.
- “Desperate Measures”: In the Pilatus System, the player has to find and destroy a deactivated Borg Sphere which the Tal Shiar is experimenting on. Afterwards, one of their vessels is tracked back to Gasko Station, where the Tal Shiar is using the residents to conduct further Borg research.
- “Mine Enemy”: The Tal Shiar operates Listening Post Hephaestus out of the mining facility in the Hfihar System.
- “Frozen”: Obisek of the Reman Resistance reveals that the Tal Shiar no longer serves the Empire; they have instead turned to the "demons of air and darkness". Shortly after, Tal Shiar forces besiege the Remans' base on Dera IV.
- “Coliseum”: Colonel Hakeev has established a base on Nopada Prime, which he uses to study the behavior of various cultures and find the best way to turn them against each other.
- “Cutting the Cord”: A Tal Shiar base in the Brea System comes under attack from Obisek's forces.
- “New Romulus: Staging Area”: Players occasionally encounter undercover Tal Shiar agents attempting to infiltrate the nerve center of the New Romulus colonization efforts.
- “New Romulus: Vastam Peaks”: Tal Shiar agents harass Avran's scientists in the Vastam Peaks of New Romulus.
- “Carraya System Patrol”: Forces of the Tal Shiar attempt to occupy the Carraya System.
- “Acamar System Patrol”: The Tal Shiar engineers a dispute between two Acamarian clans. If the player successfully resolves it, the Tal Shiar attacks them.
- “Hidden Camera”: Subcommander Khiana attempts to bribe D'Tan, but is rebuffed.
- “New Romulus: Mountain Base”: The player is tasked with eliminating a Tal Shiar base in the mountains near Vastam Peaks.
- “Uneasy Allies”: The player and former Empress Sela engage Tal Shiar forces in the Nopada System in order to access the Iconian Gateway located in Hakeev's base.
- “Butterfly”: In Scenario Gamma, one of several holodeck simulations designed to test the use of the K.I.S. Annorax against various targets, the player must sabotage Tal Shiar listening equipment aboard the I.R.W. D'serek and arrest Tal Shiar agent Gaius Selan when the ship and her crew defect to the Republic.
- “Starbase Blockade”: Transport ships supplying a fleet starbase come under attack from various enemies, among them the Tal Shiar.
- “Fleet Alert”: Tal Shiar fleets attack Federation and Klingon starbases, led by Scimitars.
- “Starbase Fleet Defense”: A starbase is besieged by an armada of Tal Shiar ships.
- “No Win Scenario”: In Combat Simulation 347, Tal Shiar warships attack a Civilian Transport.
- The Tal Shiar is among the hostile factions players engage in Deep Space Encounters in the Beta Quadrant.
Known members[edit | edit source]
- Commander Charva
- Colonel Hakeev
- Commander Janek
- Commander Khaiel N'Vek
- Commander Ruul
- Commander Tarsen
See also[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Romulan Star Empire
|Details||Romulan Star Empire • Romulan • Reman • Hirogen • Rator III • Gasko Station • Tal Shiar|
|Ground Forces||Romulan Analyst • Technician • Recruit (Romulan) • Uhlan • Sublieutenant Medic • Centurion • Centurion Engineer • Centurion Medic • Centurion Scientist • Subcommander • Subcommander Engineer • Subcommander Scientist • Commander (Mob) • Romulan Captain|
|Starships||Romulan Shuttle • Scorpion Fighter (Mob) • T'varo Light Warbird (Mob) • Mogai Heavy Warbird (Mob) • D'deridex Battlecruiser • Scimitar Dreadnought|
|NPCs||Arranhu • Charva • Hakeev • Janek • Khaiel N'Vek • Khiana • Ruul • Sela • Taris • Tarsen|
|NPC starships||I.R.W. Aethra • I.R.W. Areinnye • I.R.W. Esemar • I.R.W. Khnial • I.R.W. Leahval • I.R.W. Rea • Sela's Armed Freighter • I.R.W. Sithesh|