In Star Trek Online, players may choose which career they wish their character to adopt. Each career path (which also used to be called "Profession" in the past) has its own advantages (and, of course, disadvantages) in the game.
Players are able to currently choose from the following three careers:
TacticalTactical officers are most useful in the DPS or Damage roles; they do their best work while dealing damage to enemies in ground and space combat. Tactical officers usually wear red and are best matched with Escort vessels (Federation) and Raiders or Raptors (Klingon Empire), which are also the best starships in terms of inflicting damage to enemies. They do this through maximizing the damage output of their Energy (Beams & Cannons) and Projectile weaponry (Torpedoes & Mines), and through increasing that potential through Attack Patterns (α, β, Δ, and Ω).
In ground combat, tactical kits give powers that allow the player to put out increased damage as well as spike damage (one-time concentrated bursts of firepower), AoE (Area of Effect) damage via grenades, and abilities that improve the damage output and staying power of allies.
Tactical officers have four unique traits available, in addition to the normal traits for their species.
- Crippling Fire: Your Critical Hits reduce your target's Accuracy.
- Last Ditch Effort: During Go Down Fighting, +Res from attacking
- Situational Awareness: Grenade powers you use will expose their targets.
- Strike Team Specialist: Attacking targets gives +Crit Chance
EngineeringEngineering officers are best suited to the Healer and Tank roles. Engineers wear the color gold for their uniforms and are ideally matched with Cruisers (Federation) and Battlecruisers (Klingon Empire), which are also best suited for tanking. Tanks take the brunt of damage in battle and try to attract all enemies to themselves, while the DPS or Damage players do the majority of the actual firing and damage. As healers, Engineers are adept at healing hull damage, although they also have strong shield healing. Their focus is primarily on survivability and resilience in space combat, while supporting their Away Team in both space and ground combat with fixed-position automated weaponry, shield and medical generators, technological buffs, and other repairs and improvements.
In ground combat, engineering kits generally involve fabricating turrets and shields, supporting your team with weapon buffs and seeker as well as support drones, and laying mine barriers and bombs.
Engineers have four unique traits available, in addition to the normal traits for their species.
- EPS Manifold Efficiency: Batteries give a secondary boost to all subsystems.
- Grace Under Fire: Taking damage can reset the recharge on Miracle Worker.
- Nanomolecular Architect: Turrets & drones gain health regeneration and slightly increased damage resistance rating
- Shield Harmonic Resonance: Being attacked gives you +Res
ScienceScience officers are most useful in the Healer and "Buffer/Debuffer" roles, where they provide healing and buffs for allies (and themselves), as well as powers that weaken and disable enemy NPCs. Science officers wear the color blue and are ideally matched with Science Vessels (Federation) and Warships (Klingon Empire), ship classes whose bonus is to weaken and control their enemies, and provide some healing on the side.
In ground combat, science kits offer team healing and AoE (Area of Effect) damage, but can also grant abilities that control or debuff enemy resiliency, damage and movement.
Science officers have four unique traits available, in addition to the normal traits for their species.
- Conservation of Energy: +Exotic Damage.
- Photonic Capacitor: Reduces Photonic Fleet Cooldown
- Field Researcher: +Damage to Debuffed targets.
- Medical Vanguard: Your Buffs and Heals now also strengthen Shields.
Character specialization in Star Trek Online