There are two different types of starship weapons: Energy Weapons and Kinetic Weapons. Energy Weapons do equal damage to both a starship's shields and hull. Kinetic Weapons do full damage to a starship's hull but shields have an innate 75% resistance to kinetic weapons, though some types of kinetic weapons have improved shield penetration. Energy and Kinetic weapons both have different damage subtypes — for example, Phaser and Plasma are two types of Energy Weapons.
Different ships will have different resistances to each damage subtype depending on hull plating and engineering modules equipped, if any.
Note: see also Shuttle Weapons.
- See the "Ship Weapon Navigation Box" at the bottom of this page for specific ship weapon types and damage types.
 Firing Arcs
A weapon's firing arc is the angle of view, measured in degrees (°), inside which an enemy ship must be located. Targets outside of this arc cannot be fired upon by the weapon; you must turn so that the target is within the firing arc in order to fire. (Note that the firing arc for aft-mounted weapons is measured from the rear center, as opposed to the front center for fore weapons.)
You can preview a weapon's firing arc by holding the mouse cursor over that weapon's icon on your action bar. The firing arc only represents the angle at which the weapon can fire; it does not represent its range.
The following table shows the firing arcs of each weapon type in Star Trek Online:
A vessel that equips Beam Arrays both fore and aft is most effective when firing from the Broadside i.e. either the port or starboard side of the ship. This is because the 250 degree firing arc of beam array weapons means that there is region where the forward and aft firing arcs overlap. As such, a ship can fire both fore and aft weapons at a target within that overlap region. As the ship is effectively moving sideways relative to the 70 degree overlap region on either side of the ship, it is easier to keep a target within the optimal broadside firing arc.
Cruisers are best suited to firing from the broadside, as they lack the maneuverability to use weapons with a narrower firing arc. Cruisers also have more weapon slots than other types of vessel at the same tier, and so can potentially deal more damage from the broadside. In a tier 5 Cruiser it is possible to fire eight beam arrays in a single shot to devastating effect, though this causes an enormous power drain.
 Damage types and bonuses
- See the damage types article for more information.
 List of weapons
 Energy weapons
- Phaser: 2.5% chance to disable a random subsystem
- Disruptor: 2.5% chance to lower the targets damage resistance by 10% for 15 sec
- Plasma: 2.5% chance to apply a non-stacking damage-over-time debuff
- Polaron: 2.5% chance to reduce all enemy subsystem power levels by 25
- Tetryon: 2.5% chance to deal additional shield damage
- Antiproton: +20% critical severity
 Kinetic weapons
- Photon: 50% chance -20 Able crew
- Quantum:10% chance -10 Alive crew
- Plasma: Chance to apply Fire damage to hull for 10 sec
- Transphasic: Increased shield penetration
- Chroniton: -100% Flight Speed and Turn Rate for 10 sec
- Tricobalt: Disables targets for 2 sec
- Hargh'peng: Applies Radiation damage to hull for 15 sec
|Starship Energy Weapons|
|Array||Dual Bank||Turret||Single||Single Heavy||Dual||Dual Heavy||Quad||Wing|
|Spiral Wave Disruptor|
|Other||Kinetic Cutting Beam|
|Starship Projectile Weapons|
|Projectile Type||Torpedo||Mine||Cluster Torpedo||Missile|