The Romulan Republic (also known as the New Romulan Empire) is, besides the Federation and the Klingon Empire, one of three playable factions in Star Trek Online. Members of the Romulan Republic cannot build their own Fleet starbases. Instead, at level 10, a player of the Romulan Republic has to ally either with the Federation or the Klingons, enabling this character to join the chosen ally's fleets and visit its social hubs while still remaining part of an otherwise separate Romulan faction.
 Player Characters
Like Federation and Klingon characters, Romulan players must choose a career path (analogous to a 'class' from other MMORPGs) and a species (or race). Neither can be subsequently altered. Later, when the player reaches a higher rank, a new starship must also be selected, which can, however, be changed at any time.
At the end of “Turning Point”, i.e. when reaching level 10, players of the Romulan Republic also have to choose an ally, the Klingon Empire or the Federation. Romulan characters will retain their UI, specific storyline as well as their exclusive access to Warbirds, costumes, and certain Republic hubs. However, they cannot build their own fleet starbases and will instead be able to join fleets and teams, as well as visit social hubs of their chosen ally.
Romulan Republic characters have a range of races to choose from, each of which offers unique traits and abilities. A player's choice of race is important and cannot be changed, so it is advisable to choose carefully.
|Alien||Liberated Borg ||Reman ||Romulan|
- Exclusively available to lifetime subscribers
- Available as purchase in the C-Store or as reputation reward
Although Warbirds form the backbone of the Romulan military, characters of the Romulan Republic may also fly any tier 1-4 ship of their respective ally - the Federation or the Klingon Empire. For tier 5, only Warbirds and cross-faction ships are available to Romulan players. Unlike Federation and Klingon Defense Force vessels, Warbirds are powered by a unique Singularity Warp Core. Singularity Warp Cores can build power as the Romulan ship engages in combat, and then utilize this power to produce one of several devastating effects on the battlefield.
 Storyline missions
The New Romulans desire to live peacefully, leaving behind the secrecy and deception forced upon them by the Star Empire. Many of the Republic's Romulan population also desires to reunify with the Vulcans, as their two races share a common ancestry.
- The origins of the Republic can be traced back to the teachings of Spock during his time on Romulus with the Reunificationists. Many of his followers, including D'Tan, seek to escape the constant fear and paranoia that pervades the Star Empire, and were given an opportunity to do so following the Hobus supernova in 2387.
- By 2409 the Republic - not yet recognized as a faction separate from the Star Empire - controls a number of warbirds, many of them older designs that have fallen out of service with the Romulan Star Navy.
- That same year, the Republic colonizes Dewa III, which it renames "New Romulus" and declares it to be its new capital. Shortly after, the Federation, the Klingon Empire and the Romulan Star Empire convene a conference on Khitomer in order to discuss full diplomatic recognition of the Romulan Republic. Although the Federation and the Klingon Empire both recognize and agree to support the Republic, Empress Sela of the Star Empire vows to hunt down and punish D'Tan and his followers.
- Later in 2409, an Iconian gateway leading to the Solanae Dyson Sphere at the Beta-Delta Quadrant border is discovered and re-activated in the Republic-controlled Jouret System. Being in a similar position as Bajor when the Bajoran wormhole was discovered, the Dyson Joint Command is formed under the command of the Romulan Republic but in close cooperation with the Federation and the Klingon Empire in order to explore and secure the Dyson Sphere on the far-side of the gateway.
- In early 2410, the Republic further progresses on its path to be an equal partner among the Federation and the Klingon Empire, when it takes part in a conference in the newly discovered Jenolan Dyson Sphere deep within the Delta Quadrant. The Romulan Republic soon actively assists in defending both Earth and Qo'noS from an Undine surprise attack and subsequently participates in a cease-fire meeting between the Empire and the Federation.
The Romulan Republic has a democratic government. Proconsul D'Tan is the current head of state.
The New Romulans maintain peaceful relations with the Federation, and are also working with the Klingon Empire. The latter sees helping them as a way of conquering one of their greatest enemies without lifting a blade, and it also allows them to devote more resources toward preparing for greater threats.
Despite its peaceful intentions, the Republic is at odds with a number of factions, most notably the Tal Shiar and the Tholian Assembly - Hirogen hunters are frequently sighted on New Romulus as well.
 Military (NPC)
 Ground Forces
- The Romulan Republic was originally added to the game in Season Seven: New Romulus as a way of continuing the storyline of Cloaked Intentions.
- The Republic became a playable faction on May 21st, 2013, as part of the Legacy of Romulus expansion.
|Quick Faction Navigation Toolbar|