Player versus player
Player versus Player (also abbreviated to PvP) in Star Trek Online is a format of gameplay that involves players of both the Klingon Empire and Federation factions (each including players of the Romulan Republic allied with one or the other) fighting amongst each other. PvP queues can be accessed via the Mission Journal, with battles taking place on instanced cross-faction battlegrounds and open War Zones. There are both space and ground PvP-battlefields of different types, each rewarding dilithium when a battleground is concluded and by completing different PvP quests.
Maps and battle types[edit | edit source]
There are two general types of PvP maps in Star Trek Online: War Zones and instanced battlegrounds. War Zones are continuous, open maps, which permit PvP between the Federation and the Klingon Empire, while both also fight the Borg. Aside from these, PvP only takes place on instanced battlegrounds, on which cross-faction groups fight each other. Specific Federation vs Klingon PvP can still be organised via private battleground queues.
For instanced battleground-PvP there are currently 8 maps available divided among three game types:
|Cracked Planetoid||Space||Smallcraft Arena|
|Salvage Operation||Space||Capture and Hold|
To win an arena one side has to reach a number of kills, whereas (ground) assaults and (space) capture and holds require your team to complete the given map tasks or to reduce the enemy squadron's influence to zero, respectively.
PvP queues[edit | edit source]
PvP queues can be accessed from the Mission Journal or by clicking the triangle button ("More") at the top-right of the screen, and selecting PvP Queues. Alternatively, the PvP queues may also be accessed through sector space at the respective battle sites (see Arena, Capture and Hold and Assault for list of systems).
|Min. Players to Start||8-10||2|
|Max. Players Allowed||20|
|Min. Level||Within Rank (5,10,20,30,40,50,60)||5|
|Max. Level||Within Rank (9,19,29,39,49,59,60)||60|
Public Queues[edit | edit source]
Public queues are the first menu seen and require eight to ten players to start with up to 20 in a queue. To queue up, select the PvP and press the Join Queue button on bottom right. Queues are split by rank:
- Levels 5-9
- Levels 10-19
- Levels 20-29
- Levels 30-39
- Levels 40-49
- Levels 50-59
- Level 60
A player can join an instance already in progress (Join Queue, Join Any Game) or wait until a new match starts (Join Queue, Join New Game).
Arenas are set to 15 kills, assaults to 52 bypassed security layers, and capture and hold to 1200 influence.
Private Queues[edit | edit source]
Private queues, or challenges, can be created that can hold up to two teams of 5 (20 players) and requires five players to start. To do so, click the Challenge button then Invite button to add players. They can then select which team they are on by dragging their name over to the Red or Blue Squadron.
Arenas can be set to 5-100 kills, assaults to 10-300 bypassed security layers, and capture and hold to 100-5000 influence.
PvP queues are accessible at level 5, and are subsequently divided in ten level blocs for access after level ten (See illustration above), in order to facilitate a more even playing field and prevent max-level characters from catching brand new characters underequipped and underprepared in the public queues.
PvP quests[edit | edit source]
- “Hostile Engagements Against Enemy Leaders” - 1440
- “Removing Enemy Secret Headquarters” - 1440
- “Pacify Enemy Heroes (Daily)” - 1440
- “Pacify Enemy Leaders (Vice Admiral - Daily)” - 1440
- “Reclaim the Neutral Zone (Daily)” - 1440
- “Restore the Neutral Zone (Vice Admiral - Daily)” - 1440
- “To the Front Lines (Vice Admiral - Daily)” - 1440
- “Claiming Enemy Reserves (Daily)” - 1440
- “Claiming Enemy Emergency Reserves (Lt. General - Daily)” - 1440
- “Dominate the Leaders of the Enemy (Daily)” - 1440
- “Dominate the Heroes of the Enemy (Lt. General - Daily)” - 1440
- “Raze Enemy Headquarters (Daily)” - 1440
- “Raze Enemy Secret Headquarters (Lt. General - Daily)” - 1440
- “Seizing Enemy Emergency War Reserves” - 1440
- “Storming Enemy Secret Headquarters” - 1440
- “Ship Killer - Starfleet” - 480
- “The Most Dangerous Game - Space” - 480
- “The Most Dangerous Game - Ground” - 480
- “A Good Day To Die - Ground” - 480
- “A Good Day To Die - Space” - 480
- “Good Luck Charm” - 480
- “Turret Killer” - 480
- “Captain Killer - Starfleet” - 480
- “Captain Killer - Klingons” - 480