- "They whisper in the night for chaos and despair, and Hakeev gives them blood as tribute. Our blood."
The Iconians were a galactic super-power 200,000 years ago. Their homeworld, Iconia, is located in the Z-6 Sector of the Iota Pavonis Sector Block. They were thought to be extinct by orbital bombardment and driven out of the galaxy by other races.
- Other than the destruction of their home world by planetary bombardment some 200,000 years ago, little is known about the ancient Iconians. It was passed down by the races that destroyed them that the Iconians had been "demons of air and darkness", traveling via Iconian gateways and ruling oppressively over their large empire. Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the U.S.S. Enterprise-D once speculated that this might be historical revisionism by the victorious powers.
- In 2365, the U.S.S. Yamato found Iconia in the Romulan Neutral Zone, but shortly fell victim to an unmanned Iconian Probe that transmitted a piece of Iconian software to rewrite the ship's computer systems and ultimately causing a warp core breach. To prevent the Iconian technology falling into Romulan hands, Captain Picard destroyed what was believed to be the only remaining outpost on the planet's surface.
- A second Iconian base was found in the Gamma Quadrant by the Dominion in 2372. There, a group of renegade Jem'Hadar took over the facility and attempted to use its Gateway to stage a rebellion against the Dominon. A Starfleet/Dominion joint operation destroyed the base.
 Missions involved
- “Sleepers”: Borg Cube 19721 is disabled in the T'liss System during an attempt to survey "Species 47" as part of Project Iconia.
- “Taris”: The investigation of the Hobus disaster leads the player to Iconia, where a mysterious vessel is briefly seen above the planet but then disappears. An ancient Iconian base and an operational Gateway are found. It seems the Romulan rebels under Taris had been triggering a transmission from that base that ultimately caused the Hobus supernova.
- “Frozen”: Reman Resistance leader Obisek reveals that the Tal Shiar no longer serves the Romulan Star Empire but rather the "demons of air and darkness", an enemy he's never seen that seeks revenge for being driven from their homeworld.
- “Coliseum”: After finding an Iconian gateway on Nopada Prime, it is confirmed that Colonel Hakeev of the Tal Shiar is directly working for the Iconians and actively researches ways to best invoke conflict between various species.
- “Cutting the Cord”: Following Hakeev's death, two Iconian Gateways are discovered and destroyed on Brea III. During a battle in orbit, Empress Sela's I.R.W. Leahval is rescued (or perhaps captured) by an Iconian Dreadnought through a third Gateway built into an asteroid. This Gateway is also destroyed.
- “Darkness Before the Dawn”: Obisek wonders openly about the looming Iconian threat to the galaxy.
- “Second Wave”: Captain Va'Kel Shon mentions the Iconian threat during the Borg conference on Deep Space 9.
- “Facility 4028”: During the debriefing, Commander Mesi Achebe reveals that during the prison riot at Facility 4028, Taris escaped - apparently with help from the Iconians.
- “State of Q”: The Iconians, desiring to change history, transport a number of Borg drones back in time to the U.S.S. Saratoga during the Battle of Wolf 359, with the intention of killing Benjamin Sisko and altering history. Q sends the player to the Saratoga to stop them.
- “The Return”: In the midst of a battle with two Borg Cubes, an Iconian Dreadnought called the Obex effortlessly destroys the fleet. The ship sends a short threatening message to the player ("Look upon us and tremble") and then disappears.
- “A Light in the Dark”: It is discovered that the Iconians attacked the Undine in fluidic space, provoking the Undine into infiltrating and destabilizing the Galaxy. The Iconians' plan is to pit the species of the Galaxy against each other so that they will be unable to band together against them.
- “Tau Dewa Sector Patrol (Daily)”: An Iconian Dreadnought sometimes appears at the end of a patrol mission; it will go to warp if the player gets close.
- “Secrets of the Ancients”: Players discover an Iconian gateway and observe what is believed to be an Iconian passing through it when watching an ancient video recording on New Romulus.
In Star Trek Online the Iconians are supposed to be the ultimate bad guys, tricking various powers into destabilizing the entire galaxy for the Iconians to reconquer. They are planned to replace the Borg Collective as the major enemy faction over the course of future seasons (including STFs against the Iconians). 
First concept drawings were shown in the "Star Trek Magazine." Daniel Stahl said in a July 2010 podcast interview these pictures do not reflect the current look of the Iconians, as they had been developed further.
- When the player enters the final room in “Taris”, a Romulan Commander berates Taris for her failure and escapes into a Gateway before it deactivates. While not explicitly stated, this could have been an Iconian in disguise.
- In a recent interview by STOIC Podcast, Daniel Stahl stated more Iconian storylines will be added including the consequences of discovering the Iconian Gateway on New Romulus.
- Iconian at Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki.
- Iconian at Memory Beta, the non-canon Star Trek Wiki.
- ALL STOP Episode 14 Interview with Daniel Stahl
- Star Trek Magazine Issue 27 Iconian Concept Drawings
|Quick Faction Navigation Toolbar|