- "They whisper in the night for chaos and despair, and Hakeev gives them blood as tribute. Our blood."
The Iconians were a galactic super-power 200,000 years ago. Their homeworld, Iconia, is located in the Z-6 Sector of the Iota Pavonis Sector Block. They were thought to be extinct by orbital bombardment and driven out of the galaxy by other races.
Other than the destruction of their homeworld by planetary bombardment some 200,000 years ago, little is known about the ancient Iconians. It was passed down by the races that destroyed them that the Iconians had been "demons of air and darkness", traveling via Iconian gateways and ruling oppressively over their large empire. Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the U.S.S. Enterprise-D once speculated that this might be historical revisionism by the victorious powers.
Among the Iconian subject races were the Dewans, on whose homeworld they also constructed a gateway. Another servitor species were the Solanae who built a massive Dyson Sphere as a staging base for the Iconians that was capable of traveling across vast distances through subspace. When the Solanae activated the Sphere, a large scale industrial accident occurred. The surviving Solanae were forced to migrate to subspace when their molecular structure was changed due to exposure to large amounts of tetryonic energy and the Iconians abandoned the Sphere due to its flaws.
In 2365, the U.S.S. Yamato found Iconia in the Romulan Neutral Zone, but shortly fell victim to an unmanned Iconian Probe that transmitted a piece of Iconian software to rewrite the ship's computer systems and ultimately causing a warp core breach. To prevent the Iconian technology from falling into the hands of then-Commander Taris of the Romulan Star Empire, Captain Picard destroyed what was believed to be the only remaining outpost on the planet's surface.
A second Iconian base was found in the Gamma Quadrant by the Dominion in 2372. There, a group of renegade Jem'Hadar took over the facility and attempted to use its Gateway to stage a rebellion against the Dominion. A Starfleet/Dominion joint operation commanded by Cpt. Benjamin Sisko and Lt. Cmdr. Worf destroyed the base.
- “Sleepers”: In 2409, Borg Cube 19721 is disabled in the T'liss System during an attempt to survey "Species 47" as part of Project Iconia.
- “Patrol the Vhoran System” (Federation only): The player investigates relics of Iconian origin at the behest of Dr. Edward Grissom.
- “Taris”: The investigation of the Hobus disaster leads the player to Iconia, where a mysterious vessel is briefly seen above the planet but then disappears. An ancient Iconian base and an operational Gateway are found. It seems the Romulan rebels under Taris had been triggering a transmission from that base that ultimately caused the Hobus supernova.
- “Frozen”: Reman Resistance leader Obisek reveals that the Tal Shiar no longer serves the Romulan Star Empire but rather the "demons of air and darkness", an enemy he's never seen that seeks revenge for being driven from their homeworld.
- “Coliseum”: After finding an Iconian gateway on Nopada Prime, it is confirmed that Colonel Hakeev of the Tal Shiar is directly working for the Iconians and actively researches ways to best invoke conflict between various species.
- “Cutting the Cord”: Following Hakeev's death, two Iconian Gateways are discovered and destroyed on Brea III. During a battle in orbit, Empress Sela's I.R.W. Leahval is rescued (or perhaps captured) by an Iconian Dreadnought through a third Gateway built into an asteroid. This Gateway is also destroyed.
- “Darkness Before the Dawn”: Obisek wonders openly about the looming Iconian threat to the galaxy.
- “Second Wave”: Captain Va'Kel Shon mentions the Iconian threat during the Borg conference on Deep Space 9.
- “Facility 4028”: During the debriefing, Commander Mesi Achebe reveals that during the prison riot at Facility 4028, Taris escaped - apparently with help from the Iconians.
- “Fluid Dynamics”: It is discovered that the Iconians attacked the Undine in fluidic space, provoking them into infiltrating and destabilizing the galaxy.
- “Tau Dewa Sector Patrol (Daily)”: An Iconian Dreadnought sometimes appears at the end of a patrol mission; it will go to warp if the player gets close.
- “Secrets of the Ancients”: Players discover an Iconian gateway and observe what is believed to be an Iconian passing through it when watching an ancient video recording on New Romulus.
- “Sphere of Influence”: Iconian database entries reveal that the Iconians have been monitoring various powers in all four Quadrants of the galaxy and reveal that there are 7,255 gateways of which 5,967 are inactive and 880 damaged or inoperative. The player also learns that there are Gateways active in Andromeda and that the Elachi and Solanae are servitor races of the Iconians. The Gateway network is reset and a ship-sized Iconian Gateway hidden in subspace appears in the Jouret System.
- “Surface Tension”: In 2410, an Iconian appears in the Great Hall on Qo'noS and warns the players' factions against "attracting their attention", attacking members of the High Council when they voice defiance.
- “What's Left Behind”: Analyzing a strange device found on Vaadwaur Prime after the defeat of Gaul, the player discovers that the Vaadwaur communicated with the Iconians via an Elachi station in subspace accessed from the Nal Shadaan System in the Delta Quadrant. On the station, the player and The Doctor discover Sela, who had been imprisoned by the Iconians for the past months. She refers to the Solanae and the Elachi as the Iconian's scientists and warriors, respectively. She also points out that any point in the galaxy, and maybe the entire universe, is but a single step away for the Iconians, but also that their hubris is their biggest weakness. It is also revealed that Iconians directed the Solanae to bio-engineer neural parasites in order to control the Vaadwaur who they also outfitted with superior technology.
Races and factions known to serve the Iconians
- Dewans (extinct)
- Elachi (warrior caste)
- Romulan Star Empire (Tal Shiar only)
- Solanae (scientist caste)
- Bluegill (used to infiltrate and control the Vaadwaur)
- In Star Trek Online the Iconians are supposed to be the ultimate bad guys, tricking various powers into destabilizing the entire galaxy for the Iconians to reconquer. They are planned to replace the Borg Collective as the major enemy faction over the course of future seasons (including STFs against the Iconians). 
- First concept drawings were shown in the "Star Trek Magazine." Daniel Stahl said in a July 2010 podcast interview these pictures did not reflect the actual look of the Iconians, as they had been developed further.
- When the player enters the final room in “Taris”, a Romulan Commander berates Taris for her failure and escapes into a Gateway before it deactivates. While not explicitly stated, this could have been an Iconian in disguise.
- Iconian at Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki.
- Iconian at Memory Beta, the non-canon Star Trek Wiki.
- ALL STOP Episode 14 Interview with Daniel Stahl
- Star Trek Mag. #27 Iconian Concept Drawings
|Quick Faction Navigation Toolbar|