Global Channel Directory
Star Trek Online has a pretty robust Global Channel System. Anyone can create a new global channel at any time, and for any purpose. A few of these channels have grown in size and popularity to be the best channels in the game, or at the very least, the most populated. This page will keep a list of public and popular channels, help and advice channels, etc. Please do not add Fleet or Alliance channels. Channels used as personal playgrounds or personality cults are prohibited as well. Channels with abusive moderation will be removed as well.
Joining a Global Channel
Right click on any Chat Tab in the chat window to bring up the Chat Configuration Window. Click on the Channels Tab and enter the name of the channel you wish to join (or create) in the Join/Create window. Then click Join. Alternatively, you can type "/channel_join ChannelName" where ChannelName is the channel.
The maximum number of channels you may be subscribed to is twenty.
STOWiki has an official Global Chat Channel. You may use it to discuss articles, ask guideline questions or simply hang out with your fellow co-authors while playing the game. Simply follow the instructions above and join STOWiki.
The following are global chat channels that are both open to the public and have at least 100 subscribers:
|Accolades||The Accolades Channel exists to bring together those players who enjoy collecting every accolade in the game. A secondary mission of the channel is to help put together experienced players for Fleet Action's, STF's, Red Alerts, Re-Mastered Mission runs and more.||1710||Accolades|
|DOFFCalls||This channel is the complement to DOFFJobs and is used by bit.ly/DOFFS spreadsheet editors. It is strictly moderated and should be only used for assignment callouts.||4032||Duty officer|
|DOFFJobs||The DOFFJOBS Channel was developed to help captains with the Duty Officer content. The primary function of the channel was to coordinate efforts in finding DOff Missions, but due to its unmoderated nature it is now a place for DOffing advice and chatter.||7217||Duty officer|
|laforgedoffs||An alternative to DoffJobs for disabled people and friends of disabled people. Moderated so we can keep ableists, racists, etc. from taking over the channel. Named in honor of Geordi La Forge.||?||Duty officer|
|Global|| Global chat channel
Once subscribed you cannot leave this channel without help from customer support.
|KDFassistance||The KDF Assistance channel helps out Klingon players who may have a more difficult time getting the people needed to run missions like Special Task Forces.||467||Klingon|
|NoP Public Service||The NoP Public Service Channel is a hub for free high tier Fleet Holding invites - trying to sell access is a bannable offense.||9233|| Public|
|OrganizedPvP||Organize matches and discuss PvP strategy.||3982||PvP|
|PartyTime||The PartyTime channel is specifically for social gatherings and trivia events on any shard where Captains are not participating in missions.||459||Event|
|PriorityOne||The PriorityOne channel is the in game communication channel for the Priority One STO Podcast team, listeners and hosts. Meet people, share ideas, discuss the show and have fun!||435||Fan|
|PublicEliteSTF||For players who are tired of pickup groups there is this channel. All players are welcome once they know the basics. bit.ly/PublicEliteSTFv2 Rules are enforced in this channel.||6223||STF|
|RadioStar||Official STO global chat channel for the internet radio station RadioStar.FM||840||Fan/Chat|
|REDALERT||The REDALERT channel is specifically for discussion on all Event content on the Live Server (Holodeck). Players can alert others to event times in this channel, provide and/or receive mission info, find a team or just chat in general about events.||9251||Event|
|RedditChat||If you're a redditor and an STO player, this is home.||3563||Chat|
|STOFR||Unofficial French community channel.||4421||Chat|
|STORP.ORG||STORP.ORG's Global Channel. Chat and collaborate with other roleplayers, or ask for advice and tips on any aspect.||814||Roleplay|
|STOWiki||STOWiki's very own official Global Channel. Chat and collaborate with other authors, or ask for advice and tips on editing.||192||Fan|
|SSR||This is the official global channel for Subspace Radio, an internet radio station which broadcasts to the Star Trek Online community.||1938||Fan|
|TheTradingChannel||This channel is designed for making deals, bartering goods, and negotiating better prices than the Exchange to suit your trading needs. Please keep all chat related to trading, pricing, and business. Channel rules||1998||Commerce|
|TerranElitePVE||German moderated STF / PVE channel. ||?||STF|
|TrekRadio.net||This is the official global channel for Trek Radio.net, an internet radio station which broadcasts to the Star Trek and Star Trek Online communities.||633||Fan|
|TTS||The Tribble Test Server Channel. This unmoderated channel is one of the first global channels ever made, it's primary purpose is to discuss the latest Tribble build and bugs. Game developers are occasional visitors and this is a great place to find them and ask them questions directly. If you need advice on how to play the game, you'll find all kinds here.||2977||Testing|
Accessing Global Channels Outside of Game
- Note that now Perfect World accounts will be mandatory, players report that merging accounts has no impact on their XMPP access. Past issues seem to be resolved, however it should be noted that Silver Accounts do not have access to this service and will receive an error when trying to connect from outside the game.
- Note that Pidgin only works for for gold members.
Since May 2010, the use of XMPP chat made it possible to chat to users in global channels (but not local or zone) or to send private messages to users on your friends list. This can be set up on a chat client program, such as Pidgin with the following directions taken:
- Start the Pidgin client
- Click on Accounts > Manage Accounts
- Click the Add... button
- On the Add Account dialog fill out the following:
- Protocol: XMPP
- Username: <Account Name> (the login name used for Holodeck/Live server)
- Domain: CrypticSpace.com
- Resource: <Anything> Name appearing in front of @handle, when chatting from Pidgin
- Password: <Your Account Password>
- Remember Password: <Check mark> (if desired)
- Click Add
NOTE: For those who joined the game after the Cryptic/Perfect World account name merge, your PWE account name (your email address) will not work in XMPP. You will need your Cryptic user id, which can be found by logging into the game, then selecting Logout from the menu. The string of numbers and pound signs that the client fills in for your username on the following login screen will work in XMPP.
Once the client is set up, a Buddy List can be accessed. To add global channels to it, do the following:
- Click on Buddies, Join a Chat...
- On the Join a Chat dialog add the following:
- Account: <Your XMPP account>
- Room: <Name of room to join/create> (Replace any spaces with the + character - IE: "My Room" becomes "My+Room")
- Server: channels.crypticspace.com
- Handle: <for private rooms>
- Password: <for private rooms>
- Click Join!
Now your in-game fleet channels can be added in the following way:
- Click on Buddies, Join a Chat...
- Server: guilds.crypticspace.com
- Click "Room List" button
- On "Enter a Conference Server" list: guilds.crypticspace.com, then press "Find Rooms"
- In Room List window, click your fleet (format is holodeck!Fleet\20Name\20Here), and "Add Chat" (The \20 represents a space)
- The Alias is how it will appear in your buddy list and Group will be which category its in
- Numbers as of March 6, 2014
- Be advised that unmoderated channels tend to have strong language and more than a fair share of Trolls.
- Star Trek Online Forums: New Feature Enabled for PTS users!