The Freighter Class consists of three sub-types operated by civilians, primarily used for business ventures. Ships of this class are frequently seen in the Sirius Sector Block, usually acting as mobile vendors. Some of them are operated by Mudd, Inc.
When operating in Federation space, most freighters feature the S.S.-registry for civilian ships.
Factions operating Freighter class vessels
- Ferengi Alliance
- Romulan Star Empire
- United Federation of Planets
- Klingon Empire
- species residing in Clusters and Nebulae
Freighter classCardassian and Klingon freighter designs being in use in the late 24th century. Ships of these type can be found in many different corners of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.
Short Freighter class
Long Freighter classSTO as of yet. Long Freighters feature much more cargo space than the other sub-types, explaining their wide-spread use.
Light Freighter classGalaxy since at least the mid-24th century. As with all freighters. purpose of Light Freighters is to transport cargo throughout the quadrant. Armed versions of this design are also used as a Frigate by the Acamarians as well as assorted minor species.
|Level||Standard Difficulty||Advanced Difficulty||Elite Difficulty|
- “Stranded in Space”: The player is tasked with rescuing the crew of the S.S. Azura from Orion attack.
- “War is Good for Business”: Several freighters can be found around Starbase 114 in the Celes System, including S.S. Prexnak, S.S. Laran and S.S. Chandra.
- “Treasure Trading Station”: This is so far the only occasion in the game when freighters actually fire. However, they're no match for Starfleet vessels.
- “Under the Cover of Night”: All sub-types can be found frequenting the Agrama System. One of these ships is used by fugitive Franklin Drake. None of the vessels bears any name or registry, pointing toward the non-regulated trade deals they're doing.
- “The House Always Wins”: KDF players are tasked with destroying the freighters D'Elon and Sirol belonging to the House of Torg.
- “Starbase Fleet Defense”: Players are tasked with escorting 4 groups of freighters to warp-out beacons and protecting them from enemy attack until they can escape.
- “Starbase Blockade”: Multiple freighters attempt to run enemy blockades to deliver supplies to Fleet Starbases and must be defended by the players' team.
- “Halting the Gorn Advance”: Players must liberate freighters trapped by Gorn forces in the Tostig System.
- “Punch Through the Federation Blockade”: Players must rescue freighters trapped by Starfleet ships in the Yov'bot System.
- “Temporal Ambassador”: In an alternate timeline, the player's ship - though still bearing its original name - is a freighter.
- “Sh'mar - Distress Signal”: Players must defend the freighter Sh'mar from True Way attacks.
- “Officer of the Watch (Daily)”: One of the tasks players are assigned is to scan a freighter near their Fleet Starbase for signs of smuggling.
- “We Need Breathing Room (Daily)”: KDF players are occasionally tasked with defending or boarding freighters during exploration missions.
- “Explore Strange New Worlds”: Federation players are sometimes tasked with protecting freighters from hostile attack during exploration missions.
Vessels of the class
|Long Freighter|| S.S. Azura|
S.S. Azura II
- Freighters can often be seen operating in the space around fleet starbases and Drozana Station, as well as in sector space in the Sirius, Regulus, Pi Canis, and Eta Eridani Sector Blocks.
- A freighter operated by pirates is one of several vessels that will spawn to aid players in combat when the Nimbus Pirate Distress Call is used (the others being a Breen Chel Grett Cruiser and an Orion Corsair Flight-Deck Cruiser). The freighter has minimal weaponry (only a single Phaser Turret) and mainly supports the player by using healing abilities such as Extend Shields and SIF Transfer.