A fleet in Star Trek Online is a group of players that have banded together. Fleets have a standard command structure and management tools commonly found in other MMORPGs for guilds, e.g., a rank system, a fleet bank, a fleet specific chat channel and a calendar.
In Star Trek Online, fleets also have holdings, e.g., a common starbase, which can be upgraded, thereby allowing the fleet to gain Fleet XP and to unlock special fleet items and bonuses.
 Fleet requirements
 Basic Requirements
There are a few simple requirements to be met to create a fleet (pre-Season 6 Update):
- You must have 5 players to form a fleet.
- The 5 players must be joined together in a team.
- The team member that is going to create the fleet (the founder) must be a Gold member (see exceptions to this rule below).
- The remaining team members must either be Gold members or Silver members that have completed their 20 hour trial period (see exceptions to this rule below).
- Visit the Fleet Ambassador (for Federations fleets, the Fleet Ambassador can be found at Earth Space Dock to the right outside of the entrance to Sickbay, and for Klingon fleets the Fleet Ambassador can be found in First City on Qo'Nos just to the left as you enter the Barracks) to create your fleet.
 Requirement Exceptions
A number of people have posted on the forums about the exact make-up of the team members required to create a fleet. Here are some of the things that they have found:
- The fleet founder doesn't have to be a Gold member. A Silver member that meets any of the following requirements can also be a fleet founder: 20 hours of aggregate play across all characters, account has ever had a subscription, account carries a ZEN balance, account has made a C-Store purchase.
- The remaining team members, if they are Silver members, don't need to have completed their 20 hour trial if they meet the following requirements: account has ever had a subscription, account carries a ZEN balance, account has made a C-Store purchase.
 Other Notes
Some other tidbits about fleet creation:
- You can get around the 20 hour trial period on an account by getting enough dilithium to trade in for at least 1 - that will give you a ZEN balance without having to purchase ZEN. 
- Once a Silver member gets any ZEN (by any means), they need to log off and log back in in order to qualify for creating a fleet.
- Once the fleet is created, you can drop below the 5 member requirement.
- All players in the Team must be present on the same map instance as the Team Leader.
 Fleet Bank
- See also: Banks in Star Trek Online
The fleet bank is a universal storage facility for inventory items and credits that is accessible by all members of your fleet who have the proper permissions. Fleet banks are universal; items and Energy Credits placed into any fleet bank will appear in all fleet banks throughout the galaxy and are available for retrieval no matter which fleet bank is visited.
Fleet banks are a part of the normal bank terminal and can have up to 8 tabs of storage space. The first tab is available to the fleet automatically; additional tabs must be purchased for a cost of 1,233,000 each.
 Fleet Advancement System
- See main article: Fleet Advancement System
With Season Six: Under Siege, a dedicated advancement system for fleets was introduced. It allows the fleet to progress within a fleet level system and enables it to build and develop certain fleet holdings, e.g., fleet starbases. 
 Fleet Size Limitations
While a team of five is required to form a fleet, once formed it can go down to a single member. The maximum limit is 500 members, after which invitations would give the error "[Fleet] Error inviting to fleet: <Fleet Name> has reached full capacity. You must remove members to add new ones."
- ↑ Star Trek Online Forums - Fleet Creation - Post#11
- ↑ Star Trek Online Forums - newly created accounts can't receive fleet invites?
- ↑ F2P Features Matrix - Star Trek Online Official Site
- ↑ Star Trek Online Forums - newly created accounts can't receive fleet invites? - Post#21
- ↑ Season 6 Update
- ↑ Season 7 Dev Blog #7
 See Also
- Fleet actions, a form of group-instances which, despite their name, do not require the participants to be in a fleet