- For lists of duty officers, see the central listing page.
Once a Federation player reaches level 7 (or Klingon player reaches level 22), the duty officer (not to be confused with bridge officers) system becomes available. Duty officers represent the junior officers, enlisted personnel, and civilian crew members of the player's starship. The mechanics of the system are rather similar to those of many collectible card games in that officers can be acquired from random booster packs purchasable on the C-Store. They can be slotted for bonuses, but not renamed or upgraded.
Players can make use of duty officers in four ways:
- A player's starship has five slots for duty officers that enhance space operations and five slots for duty officers that enhance ground operations, depending on the officer's specialization.
- Duty officers can be sent out on special missions called assignments, which can reward skill points, bridge officer skill points, energy credits, temporary buffs, items, more duty officers, and experience toward commendations. These assignments can vary in real-time duration between 1 minute to 3 days.
- Duty Officers on your ship can build components and will offer assignments – some of these are new and some of these are additional chances to focus your efforts on a specific commendation category (e.g. Science, Engineering, or any other category).
- At the respective factions’ academies, Personnel Officers allow a captain to commission cadres of duty officers, and also to turn in five underperforming duty officers, plus a modest amount of Dilithium, for a random duty officer of the next highest quality. Note: in late 2012, the Dilithium required increased significantly, making it too expensive to do this.
Duty officers have the following characteristics:
- Faction Side
- Duty Officers can belong to the Federation faction or Klingon faction. They are distinguished by the frame color surrounding their avatar image. Over this faction frame is displayed the quality (rarity) of the duty officer. The department icons (Tactical, Operations, Medical etc) on their dossiers also indicate the officer's faction affiliation.
- Assignments will reward you with a proper faction duty officer, but if you intend to trade or buy another one, you have to make sure that the duty officer belongs to your faction. There is no warning in game - like with bridge officers - to stop you from buying or trading from the other faction.
- The other faction's duty officers will go into your roster/passengers/brig but they will not be displayed as a slottable Recommendation from the Department Heads. If you received another faction's duty officers they can be traded/mailed/sold using drag and drop from your roster/brig/passenger slots, or dismissed for a small bonus in dilithium and recruitment points.
- The other faction's duty officers CAN, however, be used to supply Starbase projects.
- See how to distinguish faction side on this frame comparison image.
- This is indicated by the color of the duty officer's name and the border around the portrait, if there is one. Currently, there are duty officers of white, green, blue, and purple quality. Higher quality duty officers have a higher chance to complete assignments successfully, and will provide better assignment rewards than standard quality officers.
- Duty officers, with the exception of civilians, will have an enlisted or officer rank. Some assignment slots may require duty officers of a particular rank.
- Tactical/Security: , , ,
- Engineering/Operations: , , ,
- Science/Medical: , , ,
- Klingon Defense Force: , , ,
- Duty officers will be in one of the seven following departments: Tactical, Security, Engineering, Operations, Science, Medical, and Civilian. Some assignment slots require duty officers of a specific department, or the chances of the various outcomes may be modified by placing a duty officer of a specific department in a particular slot.
- This is the duty officer's primary role aboard the starship, such as Conn Officer, Security Officer, Astrometric Officer, etc. This defines what effect the officer has if assigned to a space or ground role. As with department, some assignment slots may require an officer with a specific specialization, or including an officer with a given specialization may modify the chances of the different outcomes.
- Duty officers can have one or more traits. These are only important for assignments. Assignment slots indicate which traits will increase or decrease the chance of the possible outcomes of the assignment.
- Speclists need to be updated with pertinent abilities.
|Conn Officer||Chance to reduce the time to recharge Evasive Maneuvers, Recharge time reduced for Tactical Team and Buff, Recharge time reduced for for Attack Patterns Beta, Delta and Omega.|
|Energy Weapons Officer|
|Ground Warfare Specialist||Increased damage vs. Borg, Increased damage vs. Tholians, Increased damage vs. Undine|
|Projectile Weapons Officer|
|Shield Distribution Officer|
|Space Warfare Specialist||Increased damage vs. Borg, Increased damage vs. Tholians, Increased damage vs. Undine|
|Assault Squad Officer|
|Damage Control Engineer|
|Warp Core Engineer|
|Flight Deck Officer|
|Hazard System Officer|
|Tractor Beam Officer|
|Development Lab Scientist|
|Photonic Studies Scientist|
|Research Lab Scientist|
 Obtaining More Duty Officers
Additional Duty Officers can be obtained through various means:
- Federation players receive bonus packs at levels 11, 21, 31, and 41. Klingon players receive bonus packs at levels 23, 27, 31, and 41.
- Recruitment assignments from the academies.
- Personnel Officer or Imperial Personnel Officer
- Andorian Personnel Officer / Tellarite Personnel Officer / Vulcan Personnel Officer
- Gorn Personnel Officer / Nausicaan Personnel Officer / Orion Personnel Officer
- Ranking up commendation categories
- Each rank achieved awards one free duty officer and unlocks the remaining officers in that category for purchase with dilithium (available from Lt. Ferra at Starfleet Academy or Lt. S'stas at Klingon Academy)
- Additionally Holographic Duty Officers may be purchased from the Replicator with energy credits when achieving each rank in the Engineering, Medical, and Military fields:
- Rewards from some duty officer assignments and missions 
- Reputation system unlocks:
- Task Force Omega: 4 rare and 4 very rare Borg duty officers per faction
- Special Items (e.g., from lock boxes et al.)
- Fleet starbases also offer duty officers, by both rarity and type, for fleet credits:
 Moved to reputation system
Commander Roxy requisitions 4 different Liberated Borg duty officers for each faction with [Encrypted Data Chip Encrypted Data Chips] accquired from Special Task Force missions
 Dismissing Duty Officers
If you wish to get rid of one or more of duty officers, you can just dismiss one and get an amount of Dilithium Ore and Recruitment CXP based upon their rarity. Note that certain DOffs like the Emergency Medical Hologram do not return any dilithium or XP upon dismissal.
- Dismissing a and 10 Recruitment XP : 1
- Dismissing an and 25 Recruitment XP : 10
- Dismissing a and 100 Recruitment XP : 25
- Dismissing a and 250 Recruitment XP. : 50
Another way to dispose of unwanted duty officers is to exchange either five low quality duty officers for one higher quality officer at the personal officers at the academy, or to exchange one high quality duty officer for three lower quality officers:
- Reassign 5 ): 25 Recruitment XP for 1 (costs 500
- Reassign 5 ): 100 Recruitment XP for 1 (costs 2500
- Reassign 5 ): 500 Recruitment XP for 1 (costs 5000
- Exchanging an for 3 : 50 Recruitment XP
- Exchanging a for 3 : 150 Recruitment XP
- Exchanging a for 3 : 300 Recruitment XP
Players of the Klingon faction additionally have the following assignments to "dismiss" duty officers (other than prisoners/colonists/refugees) for a reward:
- “Execute for Incompetence”: 133 Development XP, 5
- “Execute Changeling Spy”: 604 Espionage XP, 500
- “Execute Mutineers”: 169 Development XP, 750
- “Permit Crippled Warrior to Perform the Hegh'bat”: 83 Development XP, 100
 Personal assignments
By choosing to Visit the Bridge (which is an option from the small drop down arrow at the bottom-right of the mini-map) you can walk to other parts of the ship where certain officers will offer a list of specialized assignments in specific categories. Some of these officers also offer unique assignments to acquire consumables (ship batteries, hypos, etc.).
The assignments offered reset every 20 hours and are specific to your ship, so visiting another player's ship will present different assignments.
Ship interior contacts include:
- Bridge (via desk console in ready room)
- Engineering deck
- Crew deck
- Extreme Bartending chain assignments
- Special assignments to obtain a single drink item
- Discounted replicator menu for drink items
- Culinary Credentials chain assignments
- Discounted replicator menu for food items
- Schedule morning, afternoon, or evening therapy sessions
- Brig Officer
- Schedule morning, afternoon, or evening interrogation sessions
 Roster Size
The standard roster size is 100 duty officers, but this can be increased up to a total of 400 through C-Store purchase options consisting of 25 more slots for 225 or 100 more slots for 725 .
There are currently 46 different species of duty officers.
 Available for both factions
- Liberated Borg
- ↑ Heretic - Forum posting (8 February 2012)
- ↑ Release Notes: November 13, 2012 (Season 7: New Romulus)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 This is one of a group of 12 ultra rare duty officers