- 1 Culture
- 2 History
- 3 Politics
- 4 Military
- 5 Size charts
- 6 External links
Culture[edit | edit source]
The Union was originally forged by the poverty of the Cardassian home world. Lack of resources forced the Cardassians to expand. This way, an aggresssive, militaristic colonial power emerged. After the devastation of the Dominion War the Union is reverting to a more liberal and civil society.
History[edit | edit source]
Ancient history[edit | edit source]
- Cardassia loses a number of its sacred jevonite artifacts.
- Cardassia was the site of a landing by a Bajoran solar-sail craft, which was accelerated to warp speeds when passing through the Denorios Belt. This occurred in the 1560s (Earth calendar) and was covered up by the Cardassian government until the trip was recreated by Benjamin Sisko in a replica vessel in the 2360s. This may represent Cardassia's first contact with sentient alien life.
The 24th century[edit | edit source]
- Bajor was occupied and oppressed for nearly half of the 24th century, until the Cardassian Union withdrew in the 2360s. During the Occupation, a space station known as Terok Nor was constructed in orbit of Bajor, to serve as a base of operations for the occupation forces. Gul Dukat served as prefect of Bajor and commander of Terok Nor during the last years of the occupation. After the Cardassian withdrawl (resulting in Bajoran independence), Terok Nor became Bajoran territory and, at the invitation of the Bajoran government, a Federation starbase. It was staffed by a mixed Starfleet and Bajoran Militia crew and renamed Deep Space Nine.
- During this time, the Cardassian Union also fought a minor war against the Federation. During the 2360s, this war was no longer active but technically unresolved, and several colonies were established by both sides in the border region. When a treaty was eventually reached, several of these colonies found themselves on the 'wrong' sides of the border, and after an abortive attempt to evacuate them, the Federation and Cardassian Union enclosed the colonies in a Demilitarized Zone. The colonies then went to war against one another. The Cardassian Union secretly supported the Cardassian colonies, while the Federation attempted to interdict arms shipments by Federation and neutral sympathizers to the Maquis (the forces of the Federation colonies, many of whom were former Starfleet officers). This, as well as the outbreak of the Dominion War, eventually led to a Cardassian victory and the destruction of the Federation colonies and the Maquis.
Dominion War (2373-2375)[edit | edit source]
- The Cardassian Union joined the Dominion to conquer the Alpha Quadrant and suffered greatly while the Federation Alliance eventually achieved victory. Another major member of the Dominion was the Breen Confederacy.
Post-War crises and reconstruction efforts (2379-2385)[edit | edit source]
- Following the Dominion War, Cardassia Prime plunges into an economic crisis. (2379/2380)
- The Cardassians refuse to extradite members of their government and military to stand trial for war crimes committed during the Dominion War and the occupation of Bajor. (2381)
- In 2382, 472 Cardassians from the Bajor coalition's war crimes list disappear from Cardassia Prime within four months.
- In the following year, Cardassia Prime is swept by a resurgence supporting religion and spirituality.
- Although the Federation Council and the Union support leaving the established borders of the Federation-Cardassian Treaty of 2370, the Bajor coalition demands the Cardassians to surrender colonies granted to them in the treaty. (2385)
- Meanwhile on Cardassia, the U.S.S. Pasteur supports the reconstruction of medical facilities and hospitals.
Path of redemption and democratization (2386-2392)[edit | edit source]
- A new treaty between the Union and the Federation is signed: While the Cardassians agree neither to field a military nor to wage war, Starfleet is assigned to protect Cardassian space if an invasion should happen. In response to the agreement, the requests for prosecution of Cardassians for war crimes is dropped by Bajor. (2386)
- The military is reformed into the smaller Cardassian Self-Defence Force, or CDF, the following year. In addition, the CDF's operations are restricted to Cardassian space.
- A token force consisting of six ships is sent by the provisional Detapa Council to aid Romulan relief efforts following the destruction of Romulus. Concerned with the conservation of Cardassia's remaining resources, popular opinion is against this decision. (2388)
- Elections on Cardassia are supervised by the Federation. The civilian coalition led by Elim Garak narrowly defeats the hardliner faction under Gul Madred, who demand the withdrawal from the latest Federation-Cardassian Treaty and the resurrection of the military. (2389)
- Later the same year, Madred aquires rights, allowing him to mine several mineral-rich planetoids in Cardassian space. He has a large mining oeration built on Septimus.
- In 2390, Garak and the Grand Nagus of the Ferengi Alliance, Rom, sign several contracts. The Alliance returns sacred Jevonite artifacts and invests into the restart of Cardassian industrial complexes. The Ferengi receive favorable trade agreements for goods of the rebuild industry in exhcange.
- A series of reforms is signed by the Detapa Council to promote economic stabilty and a growth of population. In addition, thousands of displaced military officers are folded into civilian industries. (2392)
Stabilization and birth of the True Way (2392-2402)[edit | edit source]
- A significant minority of the former officers join the mining operations on Septimus.
- At the same time, the Union begins to export large amounts of uridium and kelindide via Ferengi brokers. One of the first major clients are the Romulans.
- Natima Lang, one of the prominet political figures of the Union, negotiates with the Remans in order to get warp drives and additional dilithium for Cardassian ships.
- In addition, the Union begins to sell Cardassian technology across the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.
- Gul Madred claims that the CDF cannot protect his mining operations and contracts Alpha Jem'Hadar for security.
- 75 warships and a undetermined amount of weapons known to have survived the Dominion War are reported missing by an audit authorized by the Detapa Council.
- Relations with Bajor are officially normalized in 2400 and an embassy is opened on Deep Space 9.
- Natima Lang becomes the leader of the Detapa Council and the Cardassian Union in 2401.
- In the same year, the Cardassian Science Ministry announces the development of a cure for the Pottrik syndrome.
- Cardassian Intelligence informs Lang that Madred's forces possess some of the missing ships. (2402)
War of the True Way Alliance (2409)[edit | edit source]
- See main article: True Way Alliance
Politics[edit | edit source]
Military[edit | edit source]
Starships[edit | edit source]
Size charts[edit | edit source]
Cardassian ships along with former Dominion allies.
[edit | edit source]
|Details||Cardassian Union • Cardassian • Cardassia Prime|
|Ground Forces||Gil • Glinn • Gul • Interrogator • Legate • Assault Legate|
|Starships||Hideki Class • Galor Class • Keldon Class|
|NPCs||Antos • Surjan • Gilora Russol • Rugan Skyl|
|NPC starships||C.U.V. Damar|
|Quick Faction Navigation Toolbar (ordered by quadrant)|