Ability: Beam Array: Overload
Overview[edit | edit source]
This ability hugely increases the damage caused by your next beam attack from either a Beam Array, Dual Beam Bank and some Omni-Directional Beam Arrays; this attack will always critically hit. When activated, Beam Overload applies itself to all your beam weapons, however when the first weapon fires, it is cleared from all others, meaning that it may only be fired once per activation. The ability can be used effectively to quickly lower a shield facing, or to inflict significant burst damage to an exposed hull.
The ability's damage is a set multiple of the underlying weapon damage, with higher ranks providing a larger damage multiplier. Increasing your training in weapons skills will improve the underlying weapon damage, resulting in an increase in the damage of Beam Overload. Because of its higher base damage, a Dual Beam Bank will inflict a more damaging Beam Overload than a Beam Array.
With higher ranks of this ability, the proper tactical consoles, and significant weapons training, it is possible to inflict well over 30,000 points of damage to an exposed hull on a critical hit.
Having one Beam Overload buff active will prevent you from activating any other copies of Beam Overload. Consuming a Beam Overload buff to fire a beam overload will trigger a 5 second cooldown period during which no other Beam Overload powers can be activated. This 5 second cooldown period is not triggered if the buff just wears off due to duration/unuse, or if the buff is purged by a dispel effect.
Basic Information[edit | edit source]
- Profession: Tactical
- Locale: Space
- Game Description: Overload improves your next beam array [sic] attack. Overloading your beam weapon delivers an extremely powerful blast that will always critically hit.
Detailed Information[edit | edit source]
- Used by: Captain
- Target: Self
- System: Beams
- Ability Type: Buff
- Activation: 0.6 seconds
- Range: N/A
- Starts 15 second cooldown on:
- Duplicate ability cooldown:
- 15 seconds
- Modified by:
- Subsystems Power Level
- Duty Officer
- Energy Weapons Officer
- Chance (50%) to reduce the time for any beam special attack to recharge after use by 2.5-10 seconds
- Energy Weapons Officer
- Trained by:
- Scaling (Per Skill Point):
- Damage multiplier always remains the same.
- Skill training improves underlying weapon damage, resulting in more total damage.
Ability Ranks[edit | edit source]
|Ability/User Rank||CD||Ability Effects|
|Rank I: Ensign||30s||
Upgrades your Beam Weapons for 10 sec: Your next Beam Attack is an Overload that deals 470% of its normal damage
|Rank II: Lieutenant||30s||
Upgrades your Beam Weapons for 10 sec: Your next Beam Attack is an Overload that deals 560% of its normal damage
|Rank III: Lt Commander||30s||
Upgrades your Beam Weapons for 10 sec: Your next Beam Attack is an Overload that deals 680% of its normal damage
Notes/References[edit | edit source]
- This ability's name is misleading as it also works for Dual Beam Banks as well as Beam Arrays.
- Prior to update ST.42.20140720a.7, this ability drained Weapon Power upon firing. This is no longer the case.
- Between update ST.42.20140720a.7 and Season 13's release on April 25th 2017, this ability granted an automatic critical hit. This is no longer the case.